cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charity Shops

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Charity Shops

Although swmbo finds it hard to pass a charity shop without going inside, I was tempted to go in one last week simply because it was cold and raining.
Whilst looking a some coats on a rack I saw one for £6.50 with the makers name of Schoffel on the label, no stains, signs of ware  and the zips appeared sturdy so bought it for when I am outside doing work on the garden or car.
Out of interest i looked the firm up on the internet and whilst this is an old fashion I was surprised at the cost of their current range of coats which are similar to this one.
Perhaps this is the most expensive coat I have ever worn ?
Does anyone else go in Charity shops ?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Charity Shops

Oh Yes.... !... My missus is an avid follower of charity shop bargains.!.... I`m like you though.... rarely go inside... did so a couple of months ago, and idly went through the trousers section, as I needed some cheap (respectable) pair for my part time associations!... found a pair that fitted very nicely... paid the lady £2.50... Yeah... cheap... however, they were almost brand new...no marks or stains!... and they were Littlewoods, with a silk lining in the legs... I reckon they must have cost the original owner, at least £30...  so well chuffed... !  Cheesy
Edit Edit

Just checked the label inside... it was Marks and Spencers.... and they are "wool and cashmere"  woven in Italy....
Community Veteran

A couple of pairs of very nice Clarke shoes that I currently wear both came from charity shops.
Both had no signs of wear at all. For around £6.50 for one pair and £1 the other it's a bargain.
Steve
Pro

My other half likes shopping In them, I used to work In them, Amazing some of the stuff people just want rid of. Not worked In one for about 8 years now though and when I am dragged round them I notice some of the prices are a bit expensive from what they used to be.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Although swmbo finds it hard to pass a charity shop without going inside, I was tempted to go in one last week simply because it was cold and raining.
Whilst looking a some coats on a rack I saw one for £6.50 with the makers name of Schoffel on the label, no stains, signs of ware  and the zips appeared sturdy so bought it for when I am outside doing work on the garden or car.
Out of interest i looked the firm up on the internet and whilst this is an old fashion I was surprised at the cost of their current range of coats which are similar to this one.
Perhaps this is the most expensive coat I have ever worn ?
Does anyone else go in Charity shops ?

I know of Schoffel as Ski wear so had to look them up again as a Ski jacket is not a coat so leant they also do Countrywear. Their ski range are not cheap.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I needed a dinner suit (DJ) for a special occasion. Was going to hire one but ex-SWMBO said she'd seen one in a charity shop that looked as if it would fit me. So I found my trench coat turned up the collar and wore sunglasses and a cap pulled right down, and sort of sidled into the shop having made sure there was no one around who might recognise me and went to inspect the DJ.
And lummie!! it could have been made for me, and the style I like as well <shiny shawl lapels, not the notched ones so favoured today) fitted like glove. think it had never been worn, it still had the tailors tacks and chalk in it. Not only that they had a pair of patent shoes to go with it my size. Cost me a tenner all in. Came away very happy, actually wore it quite a lot after that. I think there are few things smarter for a man to wear than a good DJ, cummerbund and proper bow tie.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You guys are lucky the charity shops round here are DEARER than the normal shops.
E.g. a book in Mr T - £3.75 charity shop £5. - not that I buy books any more  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A colleague of mine runs a high street second hand book shop, he pays full rent, full rates and employs a team of students to assist in running the book-shop, which he does pay minimum wage, but at least he is creating employment. He pays for his second hand stock.
His main competition is the charity shops, which pay discounted rent and rates, have volunteers as shop assistants and are donated the stock normally for free.
I agree charity shops have their place, but I don’t consider it a level playing field if they compete with regular second hand shops in the same high street.
Community Veteran

I have a few local high streets that have second hand shops and many charity shops on and they seem to co-exist without any problems, as the second hand shops generally have higher quality or more sought after stuff in them.
But I agree second hand magazine/book shops can't compete. A few good local ones have disappeared in recent years. They had no chance when some charity shops regularly fill up bargain bins with, sometimes really good, nearly new books for 10p. I can't help buying the odd half a dozen myself occasionally.
I do miss the proper second hand bookshop which I once often used. The books were reasonably priced and sorted properly so you could always find the book you wanted if they had it.
Community Veteran

@journeys, you are right it's not a level playing field. Also some of the bigger ones are run on business lines where the manager has a target to meet for sales.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I Donate to charity shops and buy from them most months, mainly the British Heart Foundation I go in to!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

AGE UK is the best for bargains for myself.
Every Monday morning they have a 10p clearout, I've bought 20+ framed pictures and many kitchen items, all for 10p each !!
Framed glassed Pictures get a window spray clean & wipe, it's amazing how much crud comes off.
Another one was closing down, and everything was 0p, yes zero p for two weeks, asking for a £ donation.
Oxfam, what a sham, everything is high priced, and they also sell a lot of their own high priced goods.
Last Winter, I bought several as new winter coats and padded anoraks, average £5 each, from AGE UK
We have about 6 charity shops in the village, all with their own particular benefits.
I also donate items to most, I refuse to put items in bags outside my front door, for chancers to collect & sell on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The only ones I donate to are PDSA and the local animal re-homing trust shop.
Yesterday I was in a couple, average price of a pair of shoes £10, average for a jacket £10+, as I say it is cheaper to buy new that in them round here.