cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charity Donations

Fixes: 47

Charity Donations

With something like 189,000 charities registered with the Register of Charities if I did what many of them ask and donated £5 per month it would cost me something like 11 million pounds a year.
While I'm not exactly destitute, £11 million is a little above my ability to contribute therefore my contributions tend to be to annual events like Poppy day.
When I get a charity door knocker visiting and they tell me it's a mere 16 pence per day I think about that £11 million and decline to sign up at the door.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Charity Donations

We had some Macmillan collectors doing the rounds on Wednesday, doing the £5 a month thing, and I just told them the truth, I haven't the money to pay... Undecided
Fixes: 105

I do all mine through give as you earn and tell them so
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have no problem in making single donations but no way would I sign up to most of  these firms asking for direct debit donations.
As I understand it very little of the money collected actually goes to charity, most of it goes to the company that collects it, those who work at street level get the least whilst the directors and top managers get the most.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The only charity I support, is the R.N.L.I.  I always put a couple of quid in the lifeboat collection boxes when I see them...
I did see a stall for the Air Ambulance, outside a market, a couple of months ago, and wanted to give them some cash, but they could not accept any cash donations, only by bankers order/d.d. so unfortunately, they have missed out on donations from me...... I wonder how many others, too.......
Fixes: 125

All those TV ads designed to tug at the heart strings - they must work on some or they'd stop making them. I wonder why you mainly see them during daytime TV Roll eyes
I never give to cold callers or even the tin shakers in the street and definitely not by Direct Debit. I have a few charities close to my heart and will give to them when I can.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

personally I support 6 charities to the tune of £5 per month (CRUK, air ambulance, macmillan, local hospice, national meningitis trust, british legion) all are done direct from my pension fund and are discounted against my tax liability which effectively costs me nothing but generates an income for the relevant charity of double the amount I donate via payroll, I deliberated many times over who to give to on a regular basis and those were the top of the list between me and the wife so they got lucky, however whilst I do give to the DEC campaigns I refuse to have anything to do with any other so called aid charity since they all perpetuate the cycle of poverty starvation and  destitution they claim to be eliminating in the developing world by every week appearing with a truck full of rice/clothing/ shelter parts/bottled water /vaccinations and never once stopping to educate or better the lives of the people in any way shape or form !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I'll sponsor a friend if they are making the effort but as cash is a little tight at the moment it has to be a really big effort !
Community Veteran

I have a regular DD for my local hospice. I know for sure all the money goes to the hospice. I also contribute to RNLI and our local Air Ambulance.
Marksfish
Grafter

Problem with charity is the amount that is swallowed up in admin  Angry Some of the collectors you see on the corner take their salary out of the contributions, before any of it sees the good cause. Some of those that sign you up for DD, get £50 per sign up, that's a lot of £2pm to break even!! My cousin works for a charity and was sent to Senegal to stay in a 5* hotel while debating World poverty. She was also sent to the Brecons to learn to build mud huts.
Sorry, financial charity is something I don't do. I am happy to contribute towards the purchase of an item that will be donated though, no financial red tape there.
Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a d/d to the Herts and Essex Air Ambulance (probably the same as your local one artmo) this is seperate from their lottery, so given that I haven't won anything yet it goes to their funds as well I guess. Also contribute to RNLI when I see a box.
I'm usually inclined to check the income of chief executives of charities before contributing to any others.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Marksfish, I would never give to anyone trying to sign me up in the High Street. You are right, the chuggers earn a lot of commission on the sign-ups. In addition there is their 'supervisor' who also gets a cut. It's a bit like pyramid selling. Only a few pence in every pound ends up with the charity.
Community Veteran

I used to do voluntary work (donating labor, machinery, feed etc) for a farm charity until they recruited a professional fund raiser at £50k per annum.  Just didn't seem correct.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

For years I used to give every month to Cancer Research but then started getting calls every couple of weeks asking for more, whilst I understand they need voluntary income I eventually got the feeling they simply saw me as a cash cow and didn't appreciate that I gave voluntarily and were grateful for the money they did get. I got so fed up with it in the end I stopped giving.
I now give to RAFA & the Lincs/Notts Air ambulance.and work dozens of hours a week for our local WWII Charitable Museum. I always buy cards from the RNLI and if ever win big on the lottery there the 5 bodies that would significantly benefit are:. Lincoln Cathedral, Great Ormond Street, Lincs/Notts Air ambulance, RNLI and the museum I work for.

I won't give on the High Street.
nadger
Rising Star

Had an amusing email from Cancer Research UK apologising for taking this months DD a few days early.
Only thing I support on a regular basis