Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charity Appeals on telly

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Charity Appeals on telly

Seems like every charity is "jumping on the bandwagon" of adding "coronavirus" to their appeals on the telly...

How pathetic.... do they really think, that by adding that word, it makes them more "appealing" when they appeal to the General Public for donations, that... somehow, the money "we" give them will be helping to combat covid-19 through their charity...

(R.S.P.C.A. came to mind, as they have just shown their appeal advert ) ...

C`mon.... thousands of people are out of work...

many, now living on the bread line...due to no income coming in....

many have lost the "breadwinner"  or senior members of their family...

are struggling to cope with their lives in the current situation...

Yet these "charity appeals" EXPECT those same people, to donate £XX per month to them...

What planet are they on???? 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Charity Appeals on telly

@shutter wrote:

Seems like every charity is "jumping on the bandwagon" of adding "coronavirus" to their appeals on the telly...

How pathetic.... do they really think, that by adding that word, it makes them more "appealing" when they appeal to the General Public for donations

Yes.

And people will still donate.. it's just one of those things. Everyone supports different causes. I like animal charities and would favour the RSPCA (or smaller ones) over Oxfam for instance - who have stashed millions away and don't spend it, been involved in several scandals abroad etc.

But ultimately, charity these days is about keeping some of the most well off in the country, in a well paid job. That's why the royals keep setting up charities - Look at Harry and Meghan suddenly having no income - so they setup a charity which people will donate to.. and they'll cream their cost of living luxury off the top while spending some of it on the causes they represent.

Some charities are very genuine but many have well paid people at the top who will never move on and let go of that salary.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@7up wrote:

Some charities are very genuine but many have well paid people at the top who will never move on and let go of that salary.

So, if I said to Charities I could guarantee a million pound in donations for a 10% charge how many would turn my offer down ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There are some organisations that collect money on behalf of charities but the actual amount the charity gets is very small but they go along with that as one person representing a charity said better to get something than nothing.

I recall years ago several card firms were claiming that every Christmas card they sold a donation was made to charity, the claim was true enough....except the amount donated was 1p a card.....think of the extra sales they made on cards.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There used to be a old saying which some might remember.....

Charity begins at home.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

... every Christmas card they sold a donation was made to charity, the claim was true enough....except the amount donated was 1p a card...

And when M&S started charging 5p for carrier bags (before it became compulsory) they said any profit they made would go to charity.  Joe Public heard that as "5p will go to charity" which is different.  Having said that, I imagine the cost of providing the bags is quite low.

One thing I find odd is that public schools, including faith-based ones, have charitable status.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

My Son worked in a call centre (for a few days) where the external calls were specifically for extorting money out of people for a regular monthly donation, one off donations were not welcome. Didn't matter who they were, how old they were or their circumstances. They weren't allowed to take no for an answer, until they had been told no 3 times. The company took £10 per call, whether successful in gaining a donation or not Each call handler was expected to make a minimum 50 calls per shift, they could go home once the 50 calls had been reached. This company ran a campaign for Great Ormond Street and took nearly £500,000 in fees!!

My cousin used to volunteer for a charity when a uni student (green campaigner don't you know). They sent her to Senegal for a conference on world poverty and put her up in a 5 start hotel with other world leaders. You couldn't make this up could you? She was also sent on a course in the Brecons to learn how to make mud huts, so she could help people in Africa she would never meet!!

Big charity has seriously lost the plot 😡

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I donate regularly to my local hospice and our air ambulance. Both organisations have staff to arrange their donations. They are people employed directly by the organisations on normal salaries.