cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Chargers

Not uncommon for some households to have a number of  electric chargers around the house for phone, IPads, toys etc.
The output can be different but the lead can sometimes fit other gadgets the charger was not intended for, thus resulting in a fire hazard or damage to the gadget concerned.
In cases where the connecting wire and plug could  be used on other things I wonder if some colour code on plug and socket would reduce the danger ? Any ideas ?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Chargers

To be honest, as long as the voltage is the same and the device doesn't draw more current than the charger can supply (eg over the max current rating), I fail to see what the problem is?
Admittedly I do understand that not everyone will consider that..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

Yes I think you may be right
although on a multitude of chargers / powerpacks etc, the information is engraved / moulded on & kept the same colour as the moulding which makes it much harder to read even with 20 / 20 vision in good lighting conditions
Then there is also the reverse polarity to take into consideration +C.- is not the same as -C.+ it might work for a short while a long while then BANG & then FIRE being shouted or @ the very best it would blow a component or two on the connected device
There are reason(s) that manufactures state to use the correct power source for its intended & associated product, & (not just for the sake of it or to make money either) &
I think their experts know a thing or two more than us Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The EU did a guideline where all new products had to have a microusb connector for charging, so making them universal, most of mine are now either micro or miniusb. I have a couple of adaptors from ebay to convert between the 2 very handy when your "local" charger is the wrong connector.
What I tend to do with ones with short leads is to cut the plug off and solder on a usb female header, so that the cable for xyz can plug into it.
TORPC
Grafter

Are you refering to the same legislation that has been reported "could be troublesome for Apple" ?Huh
[quote= http://www.phonearena.com/news/Members-of-European-Parliament-pass-legislation-calling-for-universal-phone-charger_id53975]Europe could be close to passing legislation that would force phone manufacturers to use a universal recharger for their phones in the continent. Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) voted to pass the law, although Europe's council of ministers still has to vote on the legislation. As written, all phone manufacturers would have to offer the same recharging system for their devices by 2017. The idea is to reduce the number of different plugs and cables that Europeans need to carry around with them.
The odds favor that the microUSB charger would get the nod throughout Europe, and that could be troublesome for Apple. The Cupertino based firm has its proprietary Lightning charging system that replaced the old 30-pin charger with the launch of the Apple iPhone 5.
Apple has said in the past that instead of replacing the Lightning port with a microUSB port, if the legislation becomes law, it will offer buyers of its devices in Europe an adapter that would allow the product to meet the legal requirements in the continent.
However that is for present & future products, (what about older products that are still in use) ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ahh I though it had been passed, silly me, something that would make SENSE will never pass quickly.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I got so sick of all the chargers/PSUs, I got a load of double sockets that include 2 2amp USB ports so good for charging phones/tablets and powering raspberry pis etc and have at least one in most rooms of the house
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Having too many destriers in the lounge would ruin the carpet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wish they had already bought that law in. I have 'lost' the charger to my parrot party, Bluetooth speakers and none of the dozens of chargers I have around the house (I never their anything like chargers or leads away) fit.
Definitely not a standard size. Angry
TORPC
Grafter

Soon the newer (10 In 1 Universal USB Multi Charger Cable for Mobile Phone/ MP3 Player) will only be seen with one type of plug then Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sticky label on the charger unit saying what it is for ?   

Simples    Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Sticky label on the charger unit saying what it is for ?   

Simples    Roll eyes

This.. trouble is like most folks i've forgotten whats what.. and now wouldn't know what labels to put on them all  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Didn't they say there was going to be a common plug/socket setup some time ago.  I have Samsung phones, tablet etc and they all have different connections.  Sad
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Mine are all micro USB
TORPC
Grafter

The cheap Chinese tablet / Experia x10 mini / Huawei Y330 / Jabra BT2046 & the old H200 bluetooth earpiece, all share the same microUSB connection
Yet other devices differ somewhat