cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Islands

MightyMouse
Grafter

Channel Islands

Having lived on my own for some years now ( since my ex-wife  left and last I heard is now on her 3rd marriage.) I tend not to take holidays as I get bored on my own.
But, having watched Bergerac, I’m thinking of visiting the Channel Islands.
I’m thinking of visiting not only Jersey but also the other islands Guernsey,Sark etc.
I actually phoned The Jersey Tourist information centre @ 5.20pm last Friday night(expecting to get the answerphone)
A lady actually picked up the phone immediately, and couldn’t be more helpful ( she is sending me the new Brochure once it is out in a few days) .
She Suggested that if I wished to also visit Guernsey , Sark  etc  it might be easier to stay some nights in Jersey and some in Guernsey.
I also went on the Guernsey website and requested a Brochure (which arrived on Thursday)
Which is quite informative.
I am now wondering as to whether it would be best to book the complete holiday through a Travel Agent, or book a Hotel direct and a flight independently
Any views on the Channel Islands as a holiday or the best way to book would be gratefully   received .
I live in South Cambridgeshire.
Thanking you in advance.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Channel Islands

Visited these islands for the first time in my life about 6 months ago and was very impressed with them, if I had known how good they were I would certainly have visited long before now.
We went with a local travel firm who normally do coach holidays but this deal included flights from Manchester and the tours were done by the local firm in Jersey.
Personally I would check out what is available from local travel agents & the internet and go on a package holiday which includes the islands you mentioned, the advantage of a package holiday is that you have nothing else to bother about.
Providing the weather is ok you should have a good time.
If you get across to Hern there is a circular walk around the island which takes about 90 minutes with great views and no traffic to bother about, the ferry drops you off at one point but depending on the tide may have to pick you up at another spot about quarter of a mile away.
Go for it, you will not regret it.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've worked in Guernsey and travelled to Jersey travelling from Manchester.
My piece of advice is to fly by  http://www.aurigny.com super little airline and flying in their small aircraft into the channel island airports was special. I think they may offer holiday packages too.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I visited Guersey a few decades ago. Lovely peaceful and beautiful place full of friendly people.
Like gleneagles I also visited Hern which was well worth the pleasant boat ride.
Mine was a package holiday arriving by usual small blue plane and including a waiting island taxi.
Don't forget your driving licence for car hire.
Community Veteran

I've only been to Jersey and have to say it's a lovely island.
There used to be an airline that operated out of Cambridge to the CIs run by a husband and wife team. Can't remember its name but it had a good reputation.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks  everybody for your replies .
As per usual, you have all been most helpful .
@ artmo, I've heard  of this couple. If I remember correctly  they were on Anglia news once and did their own catering.
Flew from  Marshalls . I do believe that they have now sold out 
Community Veteran

@MM, yes that's the company. Excellent service. Smiley Very hard working couple who deserved their success.
itsme
Grafter

Suckling Airways, and they only flew out of Cambridge because of the shortsightedness of my local council, or someone was on the take Angry
Community Veteran

That's the one - Suckling. I don't think they are still around though. Where is your local airport that they didn't fly from?
itsme
Grafter

Don't exist anymore, the land belonged to the council and they wanted to build on it. They closed the airport down against the wishes of the majority of the local people
MightyMouse
Grafter

You might find this interesting :-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suckling_Airways
Community Veteran

Interesting little airline, I flew with them many (25?) years ago in their early years and we landed at the RAF base because of the Ipswich problems!
Community Veteran

An interesting airline indeed. Some very busy corporate changes for a relatively small business.