Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the subject line - was testing something

Community Veteran

Changing the subject line - was testing something

bare with me please
thought  someone would bite  Wink Wink Smiley Smiley thanks

I just wanted to know if you could change the title after someone else had replied.
23 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: testing something

Nudity is frowned upon in these forums    Cheesy
Community Veteran

Re: Changing the subject line - was testing something

Ta - see original message  Smiley
it worked - maybe a few people need to do it after slagging PN off only to find it was their own kit or line ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

can a non Usergroup member join in, I missed the original title.
We did say a while back, not that long though, that when a query is answered the title should be changed to include the word Closed and the last post to be a thank you from the originator 
Community Veteran

But of course Pierre - I half expected it to be you that replied first anyway - it was just "testing something".
Maybe the mods could suggest it more often ?.
especially as some of the subject lines have been close to libellous
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It has been known for the Mods to change the Title, generally Shouting, but very occasionally the wording
Lurker
Grafter

I never changed the wording, or knew of it happening.
The only exceptions to this being when a title was all caps, or a naughty word, or perhaps if a title included a URL that was parsed as a clickable link, making the topic inaccessible to folks. (Trying to read the post would take you to the linked location instead)
Certainly never changed the wording on the basis that we didn't agree with it - that's not moderation, its censorship (the only thing that its acceptable for us to censor is individual words that might be offensive, not phrases or opinions)

I suppose personal attacks wouldn't have been allowed, but in the case of that, the entire thread would have been removed I reckon, rather than changing the wording of somebody's post.

Some of you may recall that I don't moderate since a disagreement about some people with positions of responsibility altering other peoples post subjects. (Even though the intentions were good in those cases)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

think that agrees with my Memory, didnt mean changing for the sake of it, but for the reasons you stated, although I wish a few forum names could be forcible changed, double meanings!
Community Veteran

There was a time back when I was a mod that we occasionally edited particularly unhelpful thread titles - e.g. 'Help me!!!!!' rather than 'My broadband's stopped working!'. I don't believe that takes place any more though.
Community Veteran

Maybe there should be more of mod's suggesting that people change the subject line - especially when it has little value such as Help me !!! - or is close to being libellous Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Despite what has been said, there is an oddity on this forum with who is a Mod, Just today a change was made and the Title of the thread was completely changed by "A Mod", I was trying to find what I had been reading earlier and no reference was made to the original thread,  Normaly if a thread is moved or combined a note is made in the old position for reference Angry Angry Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
<snip>although I wish a few forum names could be forcible changed, double meanings!

I don't understand what you mean
Can you explain?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Swear expresions mispelt on purpose as a forum name
Community Veteran

oh ok I get it now, thanks
Fixes: 101

They can be changed, it's in the forum rules about dodgy names.
Will Moderate For Thanks