cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

Pro

Re: Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

@RobPN wrote:

Excuse me for butting in, but AIUI the only reason @Leapy is having to consider leaving PN is because he now has FTTP available to him which I believe he wishes to take advantage of (so line quality won't be a factor), and as we all know PN are dragging their heels in that department.  Smiley

I was under the impression that the OP wanted to consider his options. Just because FTTP is available does not mean that it is either necessary or worth paying for if you do not need it.

ADSL to FTTP is like going from a Fiesta to a Ferrari! 

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 169

Re: Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

I obviously read things differently to @RobPN 

I agree @Leapy  was seeking opinions regarding changing between producte. Whilst FTTP was mentioned I saw no confirmation that the option was actually available, let alone having to leave Plusnet to get it.

Hero
Fixes: 5

Fair enough @Baldrick1 , I was working on the knowledge that FTTP was available to him from information provided by @Leapy  over several different threads, which I referred to here for instance.  Thumbs_Up

Edit: typo

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 3

@RobPN @Baldrick1  @TeeGee @shutter @Jonpe  Yes and no 🤔 

For clarity:-

I'm currently FTTC with PN at 75 down and 15 up.

FTTP is an option as my street as it is now all fibre to the telegraph poles and BT offer FTTP at 150 down and 30 up for £2 per month. more than PN, so I'm looking at that, but not exclusively.

However, having been with PN for 5/6 years, I'm hesitant and seeking your views on the three questions.

1. What is your experience and expectations? Is allowing 10 days adequate for a switch in most cases?🤔

2. Is there a differnce in this 10days, allowance when switching service (and service provider) from say, basic brodband, to FTTC or FTTC to FFTP or  FTTP to FTTP?  Is one (or more) a faster (not up and down speed) but a  more simple business process?🤔 

3. Are there any ISPs that give a guarantee on the time frame to switch over? 🤔

Now I'm much wiser (thank you all) Thumbs_Up

Seasoned Hero

@Leapy 

I doubt that 19 days is not enough due to the statutory 14 days cooling off period for you to change your mind.

If you look up mainstream competitors  prices then ring Plusnet and select the I'm thinking of leaving optiom, quoting the competitors price I would be surprised if the difference was only £2 per month.

if the FTTP is from Openreach then be aware that all ISPs have to get Openreach to do the installation. So whatever guarantees are out there will probably be caveated with 'subject to the whim of Openreach over whom we have no control'.

Aspiring Champion

@Baldrick1  Thank you Smiley

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Leapy 

I doubt that 19 days is not enough due to the statutory 14 days cooling off period for you to change your mind.

If you look up mainstream competitors  prices then ring Plusnet and select the I'm thinking of leaving optiom, quoting the competitors price I would be surprised if the difference was only £2 per month.

I have just had a look at the timeline of my recent order (other ISP - dead phone line, previously ADSL, engineer visit required) and that was completed 14 days after I applied for it online. Also, when I changed ISP last year that was completed 15 days from ordering.

As for the difference of only £2. Depends on the deal on offer. When I changed ISP late last year I could have saved another £8 on what I eventually settled on i.e. a price not that far from what PN were offering to new customers at the time. Not knowing much about an ISP though put me off going for the cheapest option.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Aspiring Champion

@idonno  Thanks, useful information Smiley

I think 🤔 that in April both PN and BT plan to increase tariffs by RPI plus 3.8%, so the movement in cost, will be similar.

Hero
Fixes: 9

£2/month more for twice the speed sounds like a good deal if speed is important to you.  Surely FTTP being available usually means just that; the last bit of fibre to the property will still have to be provided unless it is a new property, and that may take longer under current circumstances.

Aspiring Champion

@Jonpe Openreach have done FTTP on six places near me, in my street and talking to the people that have it, (all BT) they are full of praise for it for a number of reasons, like consistant speed and up time. 🤔

Merry Christmas to you all Cheesy

Seasoned Hero

@Leapy 

If you tell yourself that the difference is only £2 per month then it's a no brainer. Go for the future proof faster, modern FTTP option.

Hero
Fixes: 5

@Leapy 

You may already have seen this thread, but if not it might be worth considering the reply by @Townman at post #2.  Smiley

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 62

It’s rare to have a choice of FTTC or FTTP - it is a matter of which one BT OR facilities in a specific location.

FTTC service management / migration is managed under Ofcom gaining supplier lead rules, which has an in-built 10 working delay to inhibit line / service slamming.

FTTP supplier change and switch to FTTP is less clear and does not sit within the well known Ofcom processes. We have seen Plusnet FTTP trail users migrating to another supplier because Ofcom has not established clear processes with BTOR and BTw. It needs to be noted that FTTP does not have a phone line / number associated with the service as does the copper borne services.

That being the case, a switch to a new FTTP service might be capable of being commissioned quicker than 10 days, ask your supplier, but note (due to the issues) not all ISPs are selling FTTP services where that is the BTOR deployed technology.

If you switch from ADSL to FTTP you might need to manage the termination of the ADSL services out with the FTTP supply. Importantly think carefully about what you want the happen with your current phone number / land line. AFAIK in the event of a power cut, phone services over FTTP do not keep working as they do over copper.
Aspiring Champion

@Townman @RobPN @Baldrick1 @Jonpe @idonno Thanks 😀  All you guys are so very helpful and it's greatly appreciated Thumbs_Up