cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 3

Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

I understand that changing your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can take 10 days and it may vary on a number of factors.

1. What is your experience and expectations? Is allowing 10 days adequate in most cases?🤔

2. Is there a differnce in this 10days, allowance when switching service (and service provider) from say, basic brodband, to FFTC or FFTC to FFTP or  FFTP to FFTP?  Is one (or more) a faster or more simple business process?🤔

3. Are there any ISPs that give a guarantee on the time frame to switch over? 🤔

28 REPLIES 28
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

@Leapy wrote:

2. Is there a differnce in this 10days, allowance when switching service (and service provider) from say, basic brodband, to FFTC or FFTC to FFTP or  FFTP to FFTP?  Is one (or more) a faster or more simple business process?

@Leapy 

Sorry. I dunno, but it's two 'T's not two 'F's  Wink

(Maybe think To not From?)  Undecided

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 169

Re: Changing internet service and service provider general questions. (not specific to PlusNet)

@Leapy 

You might get a definite answer that you can believe from a cable suoolier or FTTP not provided by BT Openreach.

If the new ISP uses the BT infrastructure it's going to depend on technician availability on the day, which will vary by day and location. Hence you will never get an answer that will reflect your circumstances at the time.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

When I recently jumped ship from the sinking PlusNet , and landed on a Desert Island called Pulse8, somewhere in Devon .....

I was in touch with them via email for about a month before my contract with PN ended.... I gave Pulse8 the ending date, and also contacted someone, somehow, in PN, about my intended move... After confirming the date.,and doing the sign up with Pulse8 the only "wait" for me, was for the actual date... when it arrived,  All I had to do was to set up my router for the Pulse8 connection, and it connected immediately, with no problems.

had to go through the "settling down the SNR period"  and have been a happy bunny ever since. with a rock solid connection, and wonderful, person to person, personal email communications with Pulse8 for anything concerning me.

Aspiring Champion

@RobPN Thanks for spelling it out for me.

I though it was shorthand jargon for Full Fibre To Cabinet or Premises and no just Fibre To The Cabinet or Premises, what an F'ing  fool I must be.😀

Aspiring Champion

@Baldrick1  That's logical, but I thought their might be some Service Level Agreements (SLA) in place for such things.Huh

Just looking as some of the feedbacks on different ISPs it would apear it's quite messy in some places, and it's not a transparent business process.

Aspiring Champion

@shutter Thanks  Pulse8  only seem to offer (now let me get this right🤔) FTTC in my area, so I will drop them a line.Thumbs_Up

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Leapy All I can add is when I signed up to my 'new' ISP I was given a date. And that is what materialised. New router delivered and the changeover just happened. I didn't even get in touch with PN as it is new provider led. At some point you'll get an email in the process saying sorry to hear you're leaving etc. However that was just before covid hit.

As it changed? Not from my recent experience at getting the phone / broadband (was ADSL) back on in a shop. Again, chose the ISP and again everything just flowed. Even down to the engineer arriving on the day mentioned. Years ago it was more hit and miss. Not that you might not hit snags - we don't as yet live in the perfect world.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

@Leapy  on their website, there is a "contact us" email address... (If you can`t find it... let me know I`ll copy it to you )... you are welcome to ask them any questions that may be "bothering" you before signing up... they are very helpful and will certainly give you an answer back within 24 hours.. if not before...

Hero

ISTM that the Pulse8 checker is unreliable, I've tried it previously and checking again just now gives me false results.

I'm already on FTTP (PN Trial) yet the Pulse8 checker tells me I can't get it, but that I can get FTTC, neither of which is true.

Plus their FTTP prices don't seem very competitive compared to BTs.

So Pulse8 get's a 'thumbs down' from me  👎

Pulse8_Fail.PNG

Edit: Link added

Hero
Fixes: 9

@Leapy wrote:

I understand that changing your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can take 10 days and it may vary on a number of factors.

Whilst the maximum time is dependent on many factors as explained above by other posters, there is (or at least used to be) a minimum time of ten working days (which is normally two calendar weeks of course) set by the regulator to allow the current provider to inform the customer that a 'take-over' request had been received in order to avoid slamming.

Pro

@Leapy 

I looked into changing ISPs when my contract was due up but decided to stay with PN as the price was reasonable (21p more per month to upgrade to Fibre to the cabinet) and hassle minimal. Having agreed the deal on the due date the switchover was instantaneous. ADSL died and I plugged in the new router. Sorted.

I am however quite happy with modest speeds as there are only the two of us and plain vanilla internet with no frills does the job.

Email is an issue for some as a lot of ISPs use external mail services. Sky I believe use Yahoo which I would happily pay money not to have to use! PN email server is as spam free as one can reasonably expect too.

Check that the green grass on the other side of the fence does not have something unexpected to tread in!

Let us know how you get on.

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 169

@Leapy 

In my view it's a case of horses for courses. If you do a bit of research and haggle then you can get a much lower price from Plusnet than can be offered by ISP's that offer a much higher level of customer services, such as @shutter's favourite. You get what you pay for. 

If you live on the end of a flaky line that needs you to be in frequent contact with customer services or one of the unlucky ones with a screwed up billing problem then it's probably worth paying the extra. However if you have a stable connection and the billing system works for you then you are paying for this extra level of service without actually using or needing it. It's then a case of whether you are willing to pay for the reassurance that this higher level of service is there if you need it. The choice is yours!

Community Veteran

In my case, The overall cost per annum, was very similar to PN... but ... the phone calls were a lot cheaper with Pulse8... and , of course, the (almost) instant replies to my enquiries, by email, from the same person.... seems like they have a "system" there, that, whoever picks up the initial email, will be "your contact"... forever more !.. as I did ask a question after about 3 months, regarding something I had seen on the website, and the same person answered me, as on my previous emails... ( unless of course, everyone has the same name   Shocked------   Sam... ! ! )

( which could be Samantha, or Samuel.... !  Cheesy  )

Hero

@TeeGee wrote:

@Leapy 

I looked into changing ISPs when my contract was due up but decided to stay with PN ...

... PN email server is as spam free as one can reasonably expect too.

Check that the green grass on the other side of the fence does not have something unexpected to tread in!

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@Leapy 

In my view it's a case of horses for courses. If you do a bit of research and haggle then you can get a much lower price from Plusnet than can be offered by ISP's that offer a much higher level of customer services, such as @shutter's favourite. You get what you pay for. 

If you live on the end of a flaky line that needs you to be in frequent contact with customer services or one of the unlucky ones with a screwed up billing problem then it's probably worth paying the extra. However if you have a stable connection and the billing system works for you then you are paying for this extra level of service without actually using or needing it. It's then a case of whether you are willing to pay for the reassurance that this higher level of service is there if you need it. The choice is yours!

Excuse me for butting in, but AIUI the only reason @Leapy is having to consider leaving PN is because he now has FTTP available to him which I believe he wishes to take advantage of (so line quality won't be a factor), and as we all know PN are dragging their heels in that department.  Smiley

@shutter wrote:

... and the same person answered me, as on my previous emails... ( unless of course, everyone has the same name   Shocked------   Sam... ! ! ) 

( which could be Samantha, or Samuel.... !  Cheesy  )

Or perhaps they're such a small ISP that they only have ONE person answering the emails @shutter   Cheesy  Cheesy