Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing ink cartridges puts a new complexion on

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Changing ink cartridges puts a new complexion on

For some time I have used compatible cartridges without issue. However, having put new magenta and cyans in, when I printed out online supermarket order, the colours were up the creek.

See results. Sad I won't ask you to guess the correct one. Grin

Do you think I can just put a different set of inks in and all will be OK?wrong output.png

col test.png

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Changing ink cartridges puts a new complexion on

Looks like the cyan cartridge is duff....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

For excellent service, and quality compatible cartridges for my Canon MG6851.... I can recommend PRINK

https://www.prink.co.uk/

I ordered at about 10am  and they were delivered FIRST CLASS MAIL.. the following day..

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 3

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter  

I have a cheap Canon MG2450 and although not listed on your link, similar cartridges look to be no cheaper than genuine Canon ones that I can buy on ebay. Compatable cartridges I have bought in the past often 'play up' as the printer refuses to recognise them.

Looking through the ink supply sites incuding the one @agedgopher supplied it's amazing just how many printer models there are. No wonder we (or at least I) get confused. Still annoys me that they are so expensive and to the point I no longer buy or use colour cartridges - although to be honest I have little need for them these days.

Lazer next time.... unless the one I have outlasts me or I decide to bin it. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Minivanman Canon MG6851  https://www.prink.co.uk/canon-pixma-mg6851-ink-cartridges.php

compatible (prink)                             £9.85 for one full set (5 cartridges)

Genuine    (cartrige shop)               £44.99 for one full set ( 5 cartridges)

Compatible ( stinky ink )                  £16.98 for one full set ( 5 cartridges)

Genuine    ( stinky ink )                    £50.17 for one full set ( 5 cartridges)

You can also specify the number of colours if you want ( say ) 3 black and 2 yellow  .... with Prink... not sure if you can do the same with other suppliers..

https://www.prink.co.uk/canon-pgi-570-cli-571-compatible-mix-and-match-5-pack.php?showfor=1&cat=6661...

and ... if you order more  you get a better price ! .

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2469251/hp-explains-why-printer-ink-is-so-expensive.html

I don't know if ink cartridges have the actual ink volume on them these days because have been running

a laser printer for last 10 years or so, but they do have some mythical 'pages per cartridge' figure on them,

but measured by what method ?  The big no-no with printers is printing photographs,  much cheaper to take

a USB stick to Boots or Tesco - but I guess if you have kids they may not car, because no matter how much

ink they use the printer keeps working at no cost to them..... wait till they have to buy their own ink and pop back

home to mom and dad to ask innocently ;daaad, you don't have some ink cartridges spare do you ?

Highlighted
Rising Star

I'll stick with HP Instant ink.

£1.99 a month for 50 pages ( other price / page plans available )

Cartridges are sent to you via post before you run out of ink ( & a freepost recycling envelope to return the empty ones )
Highlighted
Pro

So I assume your printer phones home to tell them you need ink? Handy, yes, but I wonder what else they know.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I bought some HP compatible cartridges from Wilko's as I thought they would be better than buying online. But the "high capacity" cartridges never lasted nowhere near as long as the standard HP ones. I took it back and got it replaced but it was still much the same.

Luckily i picked up an ink refil kit from my local charity shop for 50p. I've filled up my HP cartridges a few times now and they're still going strong.

Interestingly though I refilled the Wilko compatible one and it was as dead as a dodo. Not even a splutter. Tried cleaning it, contacts and all, no difference nada.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Thanks to @everyone. I put back the old which had just enough ink dregs to print a return label, so on Monday they will be winging back to Amazon. New ones have been ordred from Stinkyink.

I could have not bothered about labels, had I known how to deal with QR codes, both how to scan and to show them to post office and others. so need to enlist competent grandkids.

edit

I far prefer Canon's separate cartridges to HP, because if one colur fails you don't have to replace the lot. I wonder which is the more green: manufacturing more cartridges for the inks, but having less ink wastage, or making the one cartrdge with greater ink wastage.🤔

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Can I ask why your are printing a return lable in colour?

Just curious. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

I far prefer Canon's separate cartridges to HP, because if one colur fails you don't have to replace the lot.

That's true enough but if you refill them yourself it makes no difference.

@Minivanman wrote:

Can I ask why your are printing a return lable in colour?

Maybe it's one of those printers that refuse to print in black if the colour runs out.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Luzern wrote:

I far prefer Canon's separate cartridges to HP, because if one colur fails you don't have to replace the lot. I wonder which is the more green: manufacturing more cartridges for the inks, but having less ink wastage, or making the one cartrdge with greater ink wastage.🤔

Being as printing ink seems to cost more than gold or diamonds and plastic is very cheap I thing wasting priceless ink is the worst for Joe public...

As for which is greenest, I guess they can at least recycle the plastic bits but maybe not the ink..

A laser printer is best option if you do a lot of printing  ( or even if you don't print much because the toner does not dry out like ink does and I have never had to bin a toner cartridge like I often had to with ink cartridges )  - but it is a cost up-front ( unless you got a Dell 1250C 10 years ago for £55 like I did from e-buyer,  and the cartridges last a long time and generic tone works just fine ).

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As mentioned in another thread, I [Smug Mode: Enable] own a colour laser printer which cost £36 (plus a 2nd ne to harvest parts from for the same amount), I'll never go back to inkjet willingly, from not just owning them myself, but having to service the filthy things when I worked at a computer shop, inkjets are just utter rubbish!!! 😖

Back in the 80s & 90s when it was a choice of Dot Matrix, Daisy Wheel or Inkjet for home computer users, the Inkjet was the height of technology given they could print pictures, some even in colour too, and not leave you with tinnitus*, but now, ugh, they're a waste of Earth's resources, just say no kids!!!

(*See my vid below from 2012 of my Oki Microline DM printer... 😁 )