cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing energy suppliers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Changing energy suppliers

One proposal made by the government is that customers should be able to change energy companies within 24 hours.
What a joke........ On Scottish Powers website they state it may take up to 5 DAYS just to respond to your e-mail.
Phone them.......that's another joke.......".our lines are very busy and waiting times are 30 minutes", after 55 minutes I hung up.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Changing energy suppliers

Yep it is just that a proposal, never actually happen  Cry
It seems to take about 1-2 MONTHS to change suppliers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Why does the problem of slamming spring to mind  Crazy
Fixes: 47

I changed my tariff using uSwitch, no phone calls or emails involved.
The major suppliers are going to end up with tariffs so similar that it won't be worth the hassle.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Exactly MAJOR there are more than the big 6 though.
Bit like banks, easy to switch but people stay where they have always been.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I am just waiting for my meter to be changed (Nov 4th) so I can go onto the standard tariff then I will be looking around for the best deal
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Hairy
Exactly MAJOR there are more than the big 6 though.

How long before the smaller, cheaper suppliers grab a load of extra customers and then jack up their tariffs.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I haven't seen much mention of the fact that Co-op's increase was just 4.5%. (I don't know if they started from a higher price or may introduce further increases later)
Community Veteran

I've not changed my supplier for a few years but intend to have a look at what's available soon.
The one drawback is that with the big suppliers being so similar, is it going to save anything.
At the moment there are a few smaller suppliers but some of these are not much better.
Fixes: 124

When I looked recently I couldn't see there was much difference between suppliers and, to be honest, even if you find a cheaper deal how long before that price was increased. My view is that it just isn't worth the hassle of changing supplier in the current climate.
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, BG's fixed price till March 2015 isn't exactly fixed as it appears to be due the increase in November. I emailed a complaint about this to be told that they are only taking pre-orders (registration) for this tarrif at the moment and any switch will happen after the price increase. None of that is mentioned on their site. At least, I couldn't find it and I went as far as I could in the switching process before having to commit. Very underhand, indeed Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
How long before the smaller, cheaper suppliers grab a load of extra customers and then jack up their tariffs.

Too late,  they've done it already  (though not by as much).
I signed up to First Utility just over a week ago and the tarrif I selected is no longer available,  the new equivalent is 5% more for standing charge,  gas and Electric 1% more.

Community Veteran

Is that still a better deal than you would have got from one of the big six?
kmilburn
Grafter

The deal I've signed up to works out about 13% cheaper for the standing charge and gas,  and about 5% cheaper for electric than what the charges are going to in a few weeks (with British Gas).
In theory I should save around £100 before the fixed term ends (in around 18 months),  or more if BG put their prices up next year too.  Even their new tarriffs work out cheaper.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat

Already happening - at that Committee hearing was a guy from OVO Energy spouting about what poor value the big 6 are. What he omitted to say was that OVO have been uncompetitive for years now. I was with them two years ago, then switched to Scottish Power as their deal was much cheaper. When that deal ended recently EDF were cheapest, OVO did not even make the top 10 offers.
I don't care if I have to switch every year, it's not difficult, just use any of the comparison sites. Not in favour of 24 hour switching - that would be a slammer's dream, but the current 5-6 weeks is far too long.