cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes

N/A

Changes

I think that this might be a sign of  getting older but I am becoming very averse to change.  I don't like it but there we are - can't do 'owt about it!
The most recent gripe is that Microsoft business of foisting Windows Live Mail 2011 on us.  Being a cold day and not particularly conducive to going out I pressed on with sorting and deleting all the emails then uninstalled the thing via Windows own uninstaller which I know is rubbish but I also knew that it would leave all the settings intact.
Happily I still had the old installer in Downloads as I hadn't deleted it so now I am back to base, all settings were as they were and am mightily relieved I might add.
Windows Update is now trying to download it again so have hidden it and changed settings to Notify before install.
I wish that these computer bods would do a bit more research first and also not be so busy changing things - they should chill out a bit IMO!
It's the same with washing machines and what-have-you - I just can't stand new items.
Does anyone else recognize this in themselves?
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Changes

Yup, had solar hot water installed a few years ago, two of us, got rid of the bath and enjoyed hot showers.
Then the washing machine packed up, so went our for a new one, "what sir you want one that takes hot water"  Silly perishers only do cold fill now, so that one use of the" free" solar hot water gone, got a small dish washer again no hot fill, and we had stopped hand washing in the "free" solar,  So now in the middle of the summer oodles of hot water and nothing to do with it.

Any one thinking of Solar, go for the electric at least you can flog the excess to the national grid
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You are not the only one averse to change !
40 years ago I had an old Volvo no matter how cold the weather it always started first time and was easy to work on. Not like this heap of modern rubbish that costs me a fortune to maintain and struggles to start in this cold weather.
Not totally resistant to change, prefer my current computer to my BBC one !
Fixes: 47

Quote from: gleneagles
...prefer my current computer to my BBC one !

Shame as I have 4 in the loft looking for new homes Sad
Sadly not all change is for the better Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
johpal
Grafter

Reminds me of an NHS IT manager I had an argument with, about 10 years ago, just before the government insisted all Trusts once more incorporated the NHS logo into their letterheads. He thought it would be an excellent idea to standardize headed notepaper (printed using Word) by replacing the "normal.dot" file of every network user, upon login, without exceptions. To say the sky fell in on his head would be an understatement; that file also stores user macros, and I had dozens to help me through various routines.
A doctor may prescribe medication, but it is up to the patient to comply, or not. Why don't IT people learn the same lesson?  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how about my Local PFI one
Fixes: 47

@johpal that tale is very close to home as I was asked to implement the same at the place I worked at.
In this case it was a fax header and we asked for and received format agreement.
Each user tried to modify the template, eventually gave up and used their own.
Result implementation failure Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
You are not the only one averse to change !
40 years ago I had an old Volvo no matter how cold the weather it always started first time and was easy to work on. Not like this heap of modern rubbish that costs me a fortune to maintain and struggles to start in this cold weather.

I'm not keen on change and never have been. I suppose its because I've had to endure too much of the stuff from an early age and I've never really had a chance to feel settled. On top of that changes which affect me are nearly always bad. Small changes for the better I don't mind (IE upgrading to a faster internet connection) but what really winds me up is something new which claims to do something or be better and it turns out to be useless, doesn't do it properly and then needs fixing.
TV's are a fine example. I had an old CRT tv until recently. It was virtually bomb proof but had lived a hard life where it was kept on all day by fellow housemates who'd treat channel flicking like stamp collecting. Needless to say without that abuse it would still be here now.. Anyway point at hand is that it was superior. Reliable, good picture etc and it lasted a solid 10 years. Recently it decided it had finally had enough though so it had to go. Got a new flatscreen thing costing shameful money and it's already needing a visit from an engineer due to the 'slinky eyes' as the support line put it. At that price it shoudn't be updating the image like a webcam - it's not on limited bandwidth is it. It's not a cheap one either, it's one of the leading brands not one of those unheard of ones from Aldi or Lidl so I'm very annoyed. Clearly a change to flatscreen tech is a step backwards.
Software.. or more precisely M$ $oftware. Total joke as they just try to force everything upon us.
Yahoo... upgrading to make everything a better experience... yeah thanks boys I can't get into my once perfectly working email that you just broke. To make it worse their tech support give you the 'You need to wipe your cache' excuse. Yes, tried that, tried 3 browsers, and now i've even switched routers. It's your problem Yahoo so why not fix it?
Just some very minorly tiny examples there. I detest change I really do. To me change means taking something that works pretty well and screwing it up and making my life even more of a misery than it already was.
I was going to comment on the Volvo thing but given my luck this year with praising things and then they go totally wrong within 2 days I don't think I should. I've had a change in my luck this week which has gone from worse to much worse.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I dont think it is a case of being averse to change but more a case of, why change.
I also think more intelligent people do not jump in with both feet and their debit card to throw money at the the latest gizmo techy thingy just to keep up with the crowd
I understand that change will happen but I find disturbing when people suggest that you upgrade/replace your stuff because it is not new, what's that all about?
Steve
Pro

I don't mind change, At the young age of 36 I've had my share of seeing thing's change, The only thing I don't like changing Is my body with age, Got to be the worst thing ever Invented.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

magnetism2772
Grafter

today change means modern
for mankind and  machines
were all modern ,,,, all things church and all
love to the past present and the future
and to  the modern lets bring it on
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: johpal
Reminds me of an NHS IT manager I had an argument with, about 10 years ago, just before the government insisted all Trusts once more incorporated the NHS logo into their letterheads. He thought it would be an excellent idea to standardize headed notepaper (printed using Word) by replacing the "normal.dot" file of every network user, upon login, without exceptions. To say the sky fell in on his head would be an understatement; that file also stores user macros, and I had dozens to help me through various routines.
:

Don't get me started on the NHS and computers, I recall one incident (somewhere down south) where the CEO and Chairman of a health Authority spent some £10 million on a computer system. Having purchased it they had no software to run on it that was compatable with other systems so it remained boxed up for 18 months and sold for a pittance.
There was a parliament enquiry about it and the chairman & CEO admitted they new nothing about computers and had not sought advice other than from the company they purchased it from.
When the chairman was asked what he thought about this he said, "It was unfortunate"
Community Veteran

Quote from: giro
today change means modern
for mankind and  machines
were all modern ,,,, all things church and all
love to the past present and the future
and to  the modern lets bring it on

A very interesting comment, I think. Just so I am sure it is can you provide this comment translated into English please?
magnetism2772
Grafter

Just so I am sure it is can you provide this comment translated into English please?

changes going forward are known as  progressive
not wanting any kind  of change  going forward is referred to as regressive
and modern = up to date with things
therefor God is modern