cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to lithium battery transportation rules - No more Royal Mail

Steve
Pro

Changes to lithium battery transportation rules - No more Royal Mail

Lithium Battery Deliveries (Wednesday, November 28, 2012)
From the 10th of January 2013, The Civil Aviation Authority and the Department of Transport have agreed new rules for the Royal Mail and have prohibited Lithium batteries being sent through their postal network. This means all sales of Lithium batteries will have to be delivered using our courier DPD and the delivery charge for these products will be £6.95 for a next day delivery. The product groups affected include; Lithium coin cells, standard Lithium batteries AA, AAA and 9V, photo Lithium batteries, mobile, camera and camcorder Lithium-ion batteries.

The Royal Mail's guidance :
Batteries that are classed as dangerous goods by the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s Technical Instructions are prohibited. Please contact the manufacturer for transport information.
Lead acid batteries (car batteries) are prohibited.
Some lithium batteries may be sent using our Royal Mail Tracked service (limited to high volume commercial customers). Restrictions apply.

Stock up now for all your devices. Even a spare battery for you mobile phone or you car remote, doorbell transmitter ect will be banned
http://tamebay.com/2012/11/royal-mail-bans-postage-of-lithium-batteries.html
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Changes to lithium battery transportation rules - No more Royal Mail

Apparently gasses are prohibited too yet that didn't stop a well known fizzy drinks manufacturer from sending me a freepost returns packet for returning an unopened can of fizz to them. Fizzy drinks cans contain a small amount of compressed gas don't they?
What I was shocked to discover is that they'll carry air gun pellets.. yet afaik, air guns themselves are no longer legal?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

they are providing they are below a discharge energy limit http://www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/airgunning/air-rifles.cfm
Steve
Pro

The thing Is the technology for a safer lithium battery has been available for 3yrs.  Watch Me
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So how do they propose to stop all those mobile phones that are sold on ebay then?
Something tells me this is one of those rules someone thought up that they have no real way of enforcing but it will exist to bully someone somewhere when the time is right.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

For reasons which I don't understand - it is OK to ship a battery inside a item
itsme
Grafter

It's been a few years since I had to worry about this as a designer of battery powered devices manufactured in the Far East but I can't remember any problems with air freight with lithium batteries either inserted in the device or batteries supplied bulk. When I say I can't remember having any problems this was after reading the regulations regarding air freight. If I remember right it was to do with the power it could deliver if shorted and for bulk shipments of batteries only could the individual batteries short with each other. The answer to both for coin cells is no.
hitachi
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Apparently gasses are prohibited too yet that didn't stop a well known fizzy drinks manufacturer from sending me a freepost returns packet for returning an unopened can of fizz to them. Fizzy drinks cans contain a small amount of compressed gas don't they?
What I was shocked to discover is that they'll carry air gun pellets.. yet afaik, air guns themselves are no longer legal?

Airguns are legal and can also be sent through royal mail by individuals but not by shops.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Pictured: Terrifying picture of burned out lithium battery that grounded Boeing's hi-tech Dreamliner jets across the globe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2264437/Pictured-The-lithium-battery-grounded-Boeings-hi-tec...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

How do you make an aeroplane with no batteries?  Cheesy
Or is it just batteries containing Lithium?
If so, lead-acid batteries would be perfectly safe, as would Hydrogen fuel cells.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom

How do you make an aeroplane with no batteries?  Cheesy

Just Like This.... 
; Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Back to the old rubber bands then!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Lead acid (gel) batteries can overheat and cause fire though it is quite rare, lithium batteries are much more prone to conflagration if they are poorly manufactured. When lithium batteries flare it is pretty intense almost like a magnesium fire I can understand why couriers are wary of transporting them.
It is dumb of Boeing to use lithium batteries in the chase for saving weight.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I thought that they could use lead plates in liquid sulphuric acid cells.
These rarely overheat.  Cheesy

Teds31
Grafter

Just had a lithium battery for my laptop delivered this morning by Royal Mail.