Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to driving test - thoughts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Changes to driving test - thoughts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852

Learner drivers will have to be able to follow directions from a sat nav and drive into a parking space to pass their test.

Ministers have announced four changes to the current test which will come into force on 4 December.

Drivers will also be expected to answer vehicle safety questions while on the move and complete 20 minutes of independent driving rather than 10.

The RAC Foundation said it would be a "far more realistic assessment"

I agree with the parking instead of reversing round a corner

I don't have / don't use a satnav so can't comment

The one I would fail at is the rear screen demister as I rarely use it and the button is decidedly not obvious (there are two next to each other - one rear screen and the other front screen - also I drive two cars with it in a totally different place

When driving I concentrate on what I am doing not answering questions

10 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Changes to driving test - thoughts

are the DVLA going to supply Sat Nav,s now ??  i know most may have built in but not all .

And of course sat navs have a reputation of sending people the wrong way Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

rongtw wrote:

And of course sat navs have a reputation of sending people the wrong way Cheesy

But that's part of the 'Road awareness'  -  SatNav is advisory, not compulsoryAngel

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Plenty of corners to reverse round, but where is this parking space of which they speak? Maybe finding one should be part of the test first. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Driving test centres will probably have to have a lilne of cars. ( staff )  with one space somewhere left just for the purpose of testing the newbies....  ( not sure what happens about the insurance cover for those at either end though ! ! !)...

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Oldjim  Yes, it's the "... answer vehicle safety questions while on the move ..." I have a problem with.  If using a mobile phone while driving is unsafe, then having to concentrate on answering safety questions in order to pass an important test must also be so.

What is independent driving?

RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

rongtw wrote:

are the DVLA going to supply Sat Nav,s now ??  i know most may have built in but not all .

Slightly different, but I remember not having to do hand signals on my driving test because the vehicle I was driving was a left-hand drive VW van.  (In case anybody's wondering, I passed the test.)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Being told to go somewhere and given no further instructions maybe?
Parking is a definite must. The number of new drivers who CANNOT (reverse) park is ridiculous. There will not always be a large space to park you vehicle in.
Fixes: 124

So, if they are going to add using the Sat Nav and answering questions while driving then why not include changing the heating/air conditioning and using the radio/CD. I bet these are used more often than Sat NavsRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I think it's a bit of a myth that you have to use handsignals.  I was taught how to give hand signals but never did during the test and I passed first time.

I've just looked up Independent Driving and it's basically "Follow the signs to the town centre" for example, or being given three (or very occasionally four) directions by the examiner (like you would if you were asking someone for directions).  In my day they would say things like, "Take the first available road on the left and follow the signs to the North Circular" knowing that there were quite a lot of no-entry signs on the left.

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

Learner drivers will have to be able to follow directions

I failed my first test because I could not apparently follow directions. Take the third turn said the examiner as I entered the roundabout. You missed it go round again and I'll (sarcastically) count for you. No I will not enter into any discussion said the examiner as I said you have to be kidding. You're not seriously counting that short gravelly track leading to that small dirt car park are you?

And yes he was and the [-Censored-] failed me.