cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in your Pocket

Community Veteran

Change in your Pocket

From Spring of this year we will see a set of new coins being issued. The are to represent a snapshot of Britain over the past 1000 years.
New Coins
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Change in your Pocket

Can`t understand the MINT, bringing out so many variations of our coinage.....  if you had a bag of £20 worth of £1 coins... could you identify any fakes?  I doubt if anyone could, unless they weighed them with a micro measuring scale... even that would not necessarily prove fake or non-fake...
with so many design changes, I am sure those that are "that way inclined" could quite easily produce something that looked realistic enough to be worth their while faking....
I never bother to check my change now... if I have fake coins... then they must have come from someone else, so I just pass them on in the same manner...in effect... those fakes have become legal tender, by default....
itsme
Grafter

Many more variations of Euro coins and less chance of Euro users knowing what they are, so would fakers worry about sterling coinage?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
could you identify any fakes? 

Nope, but sure as hell, the self-serve machines at tesco (which the coins come from for me!!!) certainly will... Roll eyes
Roll on the new pound coin in 2017....
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

...oh no it won't.  Wink
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

One of the reasons for the changes is to make the coins harder to forge. Realistically it would only be the one pound ones that would be worth forging I guess.
itsme
Grafter

What about the £2 coin?
The last batch of round £1 coins have just been minted the next batch of a 12 sided £1 coin will not be minted until 2017.
The new coin designs for 2016 are for the £2 and 50p coins.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Metallic coins should be replaced by small plastic tablets with bitcoin bar codes engraved on one side.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
small plastic tablets with bitcoin bar codes engraved on one side.

Considering that there are £1 coins still circulating since they were first introduced to replace the £1 note, I'd highly doubt a plastic twitcoin would last as long... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

itsme
Grafter

How do they come to a figure for cash payments?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Am I misreading the first paragraph of nozzer's link?
Pocket change may soon be completely replaced by electronic payments in the UK after reports that last year, for the first time, the majority of payments were made without cash – either on the internet or phone, or through electronic payments and cheques.

I don't know about you but I've never been able to pay by cash over the phone or the internet no where to put the money, and and electronic payment is by definition electronic ergo cashless, and a cheque is a cheque!
Community Veteran

I can forsee the demise of the market stall and the car boot sale if cold hard cash is to to disappear...
itsme
Grafter

When this happen there may be an advantage  going cashless
[quote=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35213346]Passengers on London's transport network travelled for free after a technical glitch left people unable to use their Oyster cards.
A card reader fault affected buses and Tube stations earlier. Passengers were waved through barriers free of charge by Transport for London (TfL) staff.
The failure, linked to a fare increase, did not prevent people using the Tube, bus and rail networks.
Community Veteran

Good on TFL and a bonus for Oyster and contactless card users. Smiley