cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change and Decay in all around I see (from Abide with me)

thisoldman
Grafter

Change and Decay in all around I see (from Abide with me)

Yesterday I had to attend a tt meeting some 80 miles away and as i drove through various  villages and towns in the N E england, change and decay was all i saw.
The sheer number of boarded up shops, run down shopping centres,houses for sale, youths hanging around street corners, was quite depressing.
In my local village, 4 shops out of 7 have closed recently and the number of homes for sale has simply rocketed.
Is this picture a fair representation of the uk economy or.. just a picture of the east of england.....
I would like to know please, for reserach purposes, if you are experiencing the same sights where you live.
thanks
7 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Change and Decay in all around I see (from Abide with me)

Don't you ever get up in the morning with the joys of life and want to post on this forum some up beat news?
Fixes: 47

He's simply redressing the balance Wink
However I wouldn't say things are much worse than twelve months ago. In fact we have a couple of new shops in the area where 12 months ago there were 'For Sale' notices and my son tells me they are turning work away or subcontracting it (they X-ray castings).
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
hadden
Grafter

I used to have a pair of sunglasses with a reddish tint to them.
Things seemed much better then  Cool
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

We aren't doing too badly in our village in the North West.  I think we have one shop closed from about 15 in the village.  That shop is only closed because Tesco built a fairly big store in the village and closed their little Tesco Express shop.  We've also just had a fairly big development open which is about 25 units with about 3/4 of them in use which cost about £3million.  It is a former water board yard and buildings which have been unused for many many years.
Also I've not noticed the number of houses for sale increase or decrease.
Phil
thisoldman
Grafter

txs phil.  any1 comment from scotland wales please
gswindale
Grafter

It's cyclical.
I seem to recall back in the early/mid 90s where I was there were a number of boarded up shops in my local town (ex carpet shops etc).  By the late 90s early 00s we had a number of new computer shops arrive.  From memory they've all gone now.  No doubt they'll be replaced by something else in due course.
You need to remember that with any recession/boom there will be industries/regions that are slightly behind the general pattern - I know an electrician who was busy until a fair few months after the recession hit as all his work had been pre-booked.  It then takes a while for it to pick back up once everybody else is on the up.
haggis
Grafter

when we lived up in Scotland .St.Andrews to be more exact shops opened and closed all the time ,when we left in August last year there was a Tesdco metro in one st surounded by souviner shops coffee houses charity shops and also a couple of phone shops plus clothes shops for the trendy Uni students ,In the other st therer was an Agros a toy shop a real butchers and then even more charity shops and also what seemed like an endles number of estate agents letting agenst solicitors Oh and can't forget the stupidly high rents.elswhere on the outskirts there is an Aldi and a Morrisons so something like 22000 hungry residents & students are served by 3 food outlets ,almost forgot the 3 chip shops several chinky eateries and an indian one Dtrange thing for a place like that there was not 1 offlicence open in the town may have changed now .On looking round where we are now NE England there are about 10 shops 2 closed and have been for some time a Spar a CO-OP post office chinky hairdresser and a chemist and the inevitable bookie and a good fruit shop.