cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of a Hung Parliament

Community Veteran

Chances of a Hung Parliament

It seems more likely that we will indeed get a hung parliament, ending in a coalition government - the first since WWII
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/155203/David-Cameron-PR-gaffes-raise-election-fears
WORRIES among grassroot Tories about a lack of connection between David Cameron and crucial swing voters have renewed fears they might not win the coming election. Three opinion polls yesterday showed the Conservatives’ lead over Labour has narrowed to as little as seven points, which would not be enough to win an overall majority. One, by Mori, suggested that should there be a high turnout, Gordon Brown could even be returned to Downing Street.
The prospect of that or a hung parliament has terrified the party activists.
They are increasingly concerned by their leader’s dithering over policy and what some insist is his inability to connect with voters, particularly in the vital northern constituencies.
And that from that rag - the Express
Many other very successful countries in the world seem to function well, so maybe we do need something this time, and an end to the cat / mouse swings from Tory and Labour over the last 50 years.
"Countries which often operate with coalition cabinets include: the Nordic countries, the Austria, Benelux  countries, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Turkey, Israel, New Zealand, Kosovo, Pakistan, Kenya, and India. Switzerland  has been ruled by a coalition of the four strongest parties in parliament from 1959 to 2008, called the "Magic Formula." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_government#Coalition_governments_worldwide
Why should we be ruled and dictated to parties that only have a minority of the popular vote, rather that the parties that have either co towed to big business and the wealthy or been in the hands of some of the extreme trade unions.
Many of the above countries are ones I have a high regard for, such as the Nordic countries, New Zealand, Ireland, Japan, Germany. If they can make it work - why can't the British.
106 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Chances of a Hung Parliament

Because they are all bigots, and have the "what`s in it for me" attitude
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
It seems more likely that we will indeed get a hung parliament, ending in a coalition government - the first since WWII
Hanging is too good for them - bring back the guillotine and make some real expenses cuts  Crazy
Community Veteran

Crazy Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Did we ever have the guillotine in England?  Undecided
Fixes: 47

I don't mind buying the rope Smiley
They'll spend all their time arguing about policy and get nothing done.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Makes you wonder why people even bother to vote !
Either way we will still end up with a bunch of liars and crooks running the country !
Community Veteran

Interesting that most if not all posts show demonstrates that we have lost confidence in our politiions, which I concure with - and why we need a root and branch overhaul, and why I don;t think either Tory or Labour overall majority government would give us.
A coalition would force them to negotiate and compromise - putting aside party dogma aside.
It's interesting that few if any have come out and made comments on the Lib Dem's.
As I said, I;m no party animal - but over the years have often found the LD spokesman on Question Time seems to speak more common sense that others, and these comments often seem to get strong support from the audience. But somehow the party still can't get away from their rather quirky image.
One example is Vince Cable - he always seems to be on the ball and far more believable that the Chancellor or Opposition Treasury spokesman.
Interesting times - and I will have to be near a TV on election night - it could be fascinating.

idlewis
Grafter

The chances of a hung parliament was always been very high since October.  I agree that would be good because it will mean that they have to speak to the Lib Dems to get polices through.  In some places in England, the smaller parties have change of wiinning seats for example The Green Party in Brighton.
Community Veteran

I may take another 5 years, but if as a result - the lib dems can pursue their policy of voting reform, in the next parliament after the change, minority parties would hold more sway, as happened in the Scottish parliament.  here there are only two green MSP's yet because of the narrow majority - the greens need to be courted.
These ideas may be appalling to some die hard tories / labour activists - as they are afraid of losing their power.
But I think the UK population deserve some major changes.  The status quo is discredited
itsme
Grafter

Why not just ban party politics and vote for individuals? If no party can get a majority than manifestos and not worth printing?
nadger
Rising Star

Unfortunately voting for individuals, on a non party basis, would mean that we would never have any form of stable government.
Community Veteran

It's interesting that few if any have come out and made comments on the Lib Dem's.

perhaps they're seen as irrelevant in the big scheme of things.
As I said, I;m no party animal - but over the years have often found the LD spokesman on Question Time seems to speak more common sense that others, and these comments often seem to get strong support from the audience.

You must not have seen Jenny Tonge last week. Wink
One example is Vince Cable - he always seems to be on the ball

He's the one LD that I have a regard for - but one man doesn't make a party. He would make a good chancellor. 
idlewis
Grafter

Voting people in on  a non party basis may not lead to a stable government but it will lead to more people voting because the turnout is very low and will continue to do so unless there are dramatic changes as government may eventually introduce compulsory voting.  Esther Rantzen is the election candidate for Luton South in this years election and we will see there if it is going to be a big turnout because it will be someone who is well regarded by a lot of people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

"Gordon Brown outlines plans to reform UK voting system"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8492622.stm
Is this a panic "last throw of the dice"?  will it make any difference?
I think we will degenerate into a nation of 'negative' voters (bit like Australia:-  you line up the politico's, in reverse order, ........who should come last, ..........who should come last but one...and so on until you get to the top, the person who is left (least objectionable) gets the main vote.
I did like the tory comment "Monty Python Politics".