cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chains

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Chains

Being a firm believer in the accuracy of the Daily Express long range weather forecast, I've just purchased a set of snow chains for the car. This is the first time in 45 years' motoring.  I guess time will tell whether I'm panicking about this winter, but I do have a couple of long road trips around Christmas time.

NB: I didn't buy an lava proof tires in the event there's a super-volcano eruption in Luton.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
8 REPLIES
beeceegee
Rising Star

Re: Chains

I put Michelin Cross Climate tyres on the car last November, was most disappointed when we had no snow to try them out properly. Hoping for a couple of snowy days this winter, not too many as I also have long drives ahead.

Community Veteran

Our local tyre place will store your winter wheels when they're not in use. It must be quite expensive buying an extra set of wheels just for winter tyres, but I guess some people must do that.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Like the O.P.   I place great faith in the weather predictions, especially those of the Daily Mail... who on the same day... stated, that this year has been the warmest year for a long time... and also stated that this past weekend would see the UK "blasted with freezing temperatures and snow"... 

to counteract the bad weather forecast..... 7 years ago,... I bought one of those big plastic snow shovels, and a good strong "yard broom"... 

It has remained oustide the back door ever since...   so that has proved to be either, a waste of money,... or a good investment, ( depending on your point of view )... as we have not seen any snow since purchase. !.

as for "snow chains"... er.... don`t think so... if it gets that bad... I`ll just turn up the heating, and wait for the thaw !.

PowerLee
Rising Star

I to have Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted, they are a revelation to the term grip.

I know Honest John really recommends them & after fitting them to my own car I can see why.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Scrapped a car recently. Identical alloy wheels to my present car, so I kept the wheels. The idea was to have them fitted with winter tyres. But haven't done it yet. Must keep an eye on the long range forecast.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

This morning I bought an 18" steel BMW wheel in good condition for £10.  Not using it for my car, but as a winching accessory. 

beeceegee
Rising Star

PowerLee wrote:

I to have Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted, they are a revelation to the term grip.

They are also impressively quiet, and with 20k on them there is still 5mm+ on the fronts. Only slight downside is the number of small stones that get stuck in the narrow treads

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

beeceegee wrote:
 Only slight downside is the number of small stones that get stuck in the narrow treads

downside  ?   i`d look at that as a good point..... the stones will cut down the actual rubber loss ! ! ! ..  ( mind you, ... they may also remove some of the grip ! ! !) .. Cheesy