cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain words

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Certain words

As a non-off-topic to jelv's spell checker thread. Do you have trouble spelling certain words? my favorite is amateur, I invariably spell this incorrectly, the spell checker comes up with several alternatives, none of which are right, I usually have to resort to my dictionary.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
102 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Certain words

My worst one is "forest" which for some reason I type as "forset"
Is that a sign of incipient dyslexia  or just sloppy typing  Embarrassed
hadden
Grafter

I often mix up "...ie..." and "...ei...".
Even now, I can still remember my primary school teacher telling us the difference (I think I must have realised then, this was going to be a long term struggle Sad).
Ironically I used to win spelling competitions as a child  Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Took me ages to learn how to spell because when I was young
Got it sorted now
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There seem to be a lot of people writing ect for etc on various boards.
Community Veteran

I think the biggest problem I have is with 'per' vs. 'pur' - I can't always remember which is correct, particularly in pursue and persevere. Yet other words such as peruse and purport don't cause me a problem, so I don't know what's so special about the first two. Otherwise, I just occasionally get confused with long words containing pairs of letters... I remember staring at the word 'unnecessarily' in an exam essay a few months ago - I can normally spell it fine, but sitting in the exam hall I was suddenly worried that I'd spelt it incorrectly.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think that I have only every seen four people say that they are dyslexic on this forum, its a pity really as a lot of very well known people are, If they did we would not think they are uneducated morons, but a person with a medical problem and nothing to be ashamed of
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A very old friend and ex-colleague is genuinely dyslexic, most of the time you wouldn't know it, he tends to mis-order or leave out words rather than mis-spell them. He, and I quote him (and is not necessarily my opinion, I can hear midnight caller jumping on his high-horse from here) thinks that many people claiming dyslexia are just lazy rather than truly dyslexic. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

i'd mostly agree with petlew, except for the laziness accusation.  from experience with dyslexics, i would suggest that it was rotten teaching and an inability to comprehend that there are those who cannot readily fathom symbology.
one of my dyslexics told me that he does not see a word as a set of symbols, but as a shape, similar to a city skyline.  his difficulties arose with similarities of shape of words of different meanings, a little like the example of exasperate/exacerbate.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Never had much trouble with spelling - but a spill chucker does help with typos.
Only recently realised that concensus is actually consensus, and the preferred spelling of supercede is supersede.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

Then there's proceedure and procedure.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
techguy
Grafter

Does anyone know of a good free online UK dictionary (I do have access to Oxford English Dictionary online at work courtesy of my employer but don't want to pay a sub to use it at home)
Community Veteran

You can use the OED for free from home too; you should find a link from your local council's website to a page where you enter your library card number.
firefly2
Grafter

Hi JohnJ..
in case you have not remembered..
it is  "i" before e except after  " c "  Smiley
Community Veteran

I cant spell for toffee and without a spell checker would be lost  its down to thinking about it if I just type it I am ok but think about it and I am lost I could type autoexec.bat ok but if I thought about it could never get it right.
A lot of my problems come from the old Bulletin boards when pc first came out as due to the high cost you type like a old style txting to save money and a lot of software like Cisco routers you can use a slang so in Cisco show running config can be sh run and you get in to the habit especially if you only type to fellow engineers who understand what you mean.
The language is changing due to mobile phones a standard txt codes will be the norm soon