cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central heating valve

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Central heating valve

Our central heating system has a 3 way valve and connected to the valve is a small motor which operates the valve on a signal from the room thermostat.
The problem is that I am having to replace this motor every 3 or 4 years as it burns out. I Can turn the shaft the motor turns with my fingers and there is little resistance so I suspect the motor is too small for the job it needs to do, does anyone else have this problem ? or any solutions to the problem.
Local suppliers such as B&Q sell these motors as part of a kit which includes the 3 way valve but last time I looked they were around £80.
9 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Central heating valve

I had to replace mine after 15 years but the motor was okay it was scale stopping the valve closing off the feed to the hot  water tank. One thing to be aware is that the motor is energised but stalled in 2 of the 3 positions. The only time the motor is off is when hot water only is on. 
Community Veteran

You did well to get 15 years.
Is scale caused by Lime in the water ? We live in a soft water area so scale is not a problem for us.
Managed to find a replacement motor on e-bay (Sunvic) for £10 so will have a go with that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that I've been very pleased with heating parts purchased online from Screwfix  Smiley
Community Veteran

I'm fortunate to have a branch a couple of miles from the office. I just order over the phone for collection and then pop down at lunchtime, the order is ready to collect when you arrive so no hanging around.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
online from Screwfix 

Are both screwfix and B&Q owned by the Kingfisher group (who now also own Focus DIY)
Community Veteran

who now also own Focus DIY

Only about 30 of the 180 stores apparently.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the link to screwfix, if the one from e-bay does not fit then I will try screwfix.
I Have both Sunvic & Drayton bodies from previous purchases that only lasted 3 years so replacement motors will save me a fair bit of cash.
Community Veteran

I have given up buying the cheaper 3-way valves which often have plastic bodies, it may not be the motor which has worn out, its maybe the plastic parts inside which have worn, this seems to happens and you get 3 or so years of use.
The Honeywell, all metal valves, should last a lifetime.
As for getting scale in the water system, the water in the heating part of the system should be flushed and treated with an inhitibor every five years, you should get little or no scale.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed