cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Heating

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Central Heating

Is it more economical to leave the central heating on over night (turned lower) than having it coming on an hour before you get up and turned off when you go to bed ?
It's been suggested you will use more gas/electricity in heating up a cold house than maintaining a steady temperature throughout.
Anyone got an answer to this.... and just out of curiosity do you leave the heating on over night ?
49 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Central Heating

You got a large house? Gas for heating? They say Its cheaper to leave your heating on all the time, And In this cold weather I tend to agree, But Normally I just turn the gas heating on when required, I live In a small flat though, Doesn't take long to heat up, Then again just now It doesn't take long to cool down either.
Fixes: 47

An ex-colleague of mine always left his heating on 24/7 throughout the year and had much smaller gas bills than I did.
His room stat was set to 18 degrees c and the house was comfortably warm in winter.
I used to set my timer to come on at 6:30am and go of at 10:00pm seven days a week but the programmable room stat restricted the temp to 10 degrees during the hours when I was at work.
I am now at home most of the day and am trying a constant 19 degrees 8:00am to 10:00pm seven days.
I live in a three bedroom end terrace property.
Time and Npower statements will tell Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Id say If you live In a rather large house, Like Strats then It probably will be cheaper to keep your heating on all the time In winter at a low and steady temp, Big houses take a while to heat up, Helps If you have good Insulating too, I just use mine when needed as Like I say for now I live In a small flat, Heating on In the summer too though? Blimey he must of liked his warmth Strat?
smiffyb36
Grafter

This really depends on the type of heating system you use tbh but generally keeping it on constantly is the advice we used to give when I worked in this industry, except with the newest heating systems.
May sound obvious but check on the units used for comparison purposes strat, Npower a while back started to charge more of the higher unit cost at certain times of year rather than averaging over the year so this can result in winter bills seeming smaller than previous years where you've actually paid towards it in the summer. Add on the massive fluctuations in cost and you see the sense if it wasn't already obvious  Smiley
Fixes: 47

@smiffyb36 I realise doing a direct A-B comparison is technically impossible except under closely controlled circumstances. Houses in different locations, room layouts different, different social activity within the house etc
I can't even do a comparison at home between last year and this as I have recently had high efficiency double glazing installed.
-------------------------------------------------------------

The point is that unlike what some people think, the fact that the boiler timer is switched on doesn't mean the boiler is running so in summer it will be off most of the time except for hot water demands.
These same people think that turning the room stat up to 30+ in winter will heat up the house quicker from cold. I gave up explaining that years ago Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Strat
These same people think that turning the room stat up to 30+ in winter will heat up the house quicker from cold. I gave up explaining that years ago Roll eyes

Oh boy! how we suffer with this one. SWMBO would do the same thing when entering the living room...whack it up to 32deg  and complain five minutes later that "its cold in here" expecting instant heat. She does the same with the car heater. These days she can't get out of her chair easily to adjust it, so it remains at a constant 20deg, and I get no complaints.
I'm one of those who lets it switch off between 22:00 and 05:30 which is some hours before she rises. I was wondering though if it would be better to leave it on 24/7 in this extreme cold. One of my arguments against it that I don't like sleeping in a warm bedroom, but SWMBO likes it warm when she wakes, the rad tap is difficult to get at quietly so I don't wake her unnecessarily.
One curious thing was, when this house was built the main heating stat was located alongside the cooker in the kitchen, which meant when any cooking was going on the rest of the house froze. Its now been relocated on a cold wall in the living room. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

I've always understood that it's best to leave heating on all the time, during the winter, but I do turn it down slightly when we go to bed.
Fairly standard 3 bed semi which already had cavity foam when we bought in 1985 and loft is very well insulated. All windows double glazed and we installed rad central heating after we bought ( had storage rads} and laid on the gas. System could now do with an upgrade which would probably reduce running costs.
I expected, and got, a high gas bill this month but we've been warm.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes my Stat is a four zone 24/7/365 one,  morning,day,evening,night, also weekday/weekend, normally morn/evening 21 day/night 16, might up th 16 a bit as it takes too long to warm up.
I can never understand those who say, havnt turned on my cental heating, it not Oct 22nd or what ever, if it cold it switches itself on, it doesnt have a calender
yes cavity filled, double glazed.
going back 40 years the people I used to visit in Belgium had triple glazed
N/A

Nadger is right about the insulation. We had the cavities filled years ago but the loft insulation was woefully inadequate so within the last year we took up the plywood boards, removed the old stuff and had fresh put down.  I suppose that we could have just laid the new stuff on top of the old and it would have been easier and cheaper as we had to have a skip to get rid of it.  
Anyway, that's in hindsight and I just want to say that the insulation is now about 2 foot deep (except in the middle where we have boards to walk on for access) and has made a lot of difference because we live in a bungalow with a lot of roof space.  So I recommend getting the roof lagged, particularly if, like us, you can get it done free by a government scheme.
As for the heating we never switch it off even in the summer. We just twiddle with the thermostat and in winter set it to 20 C at bedtime.  I have no idea whether it is more economical or not although I understand that it is better to leave it on as all the power is needed to warm up the radiators in the first place.  I can't work out our fuel consumption because we have Eon Staywarm so just use what we like and don't have to monitor the meters.
It's also better to have one of the modern energy saving boilers but having spent at least half an hour defrosting my friend's condensate pipe this morning, she and I reckon that the old-fashioned ones with the hot water tank are probably less bother and more reliable. We've brought our pipe into the garage for the winter as it has frozen up twice already.  I think that manufacturers and plumbers are going to have to address this problem if winters are going to be as cold as this.  Talking to various plumbers they are making a fortune on defrosting these pipes and the home boiler care policies apparently don't cover it because it isn't a boiler problem.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: poppy
It's also better to have one of the modern energy saving boilers but having spent at least half an hour defrosting my friend's condensate pipe this morning, she and I reckon that the old-fashioned ones with the hot water tank are probably less bother and more reliable.
We have an old fashioned system but friend was telling me that his wife's bungalow has condensing boiler and that pipe was frozen which cuts out the boiler.
We have what's termed as a warm loft where there's insulation on inside of roof tiles as well as insulation between rafters - I've also boarded most of loft.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Theory says it SHOULD be slightly more economic to switch it off. The heat loss from the house is a linear function of the temperature difference between inside and out. If you leave it on all night (at say 20C with an outside temperature of 0) the heat will be lost at a constant rate ((20-0)*K)/hour and the boiler will need to supply 20K watts per hour to maintain the temperature..
Shut it off and the temperature inside drops (say to 14C overnight) then the average heat lost during the night will be K watts/hour times  the average overnight internal temperature (((20+14)/2)*K) or 17K watts/hour. So the amount of heat the boiler needs to produce n the morning to bring the house back up to temperature  will be 17/20ths of the heat needed to maintain the temperature all night.
But then you get into the efficiency of the boiler when running flat out rather than starting and stopping etc, etc, etc.
Anyway - when you get up on the coldest Sunday morning of the year, a foot of snow outside and the CH pump has died in the night economy is NOT high on the list of concerns. Getting a new pump IS.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
We have an old fashioned system

Us to, installed in early 1950's drip feed oil into a pot that heats water for rads, hot water and ranger cooker.
Agree with Nadger we added another 10" loft insulation last year, made quite a difference.  But you can also loose heat through the floor.
Community Veteran

My ex business partner started leaving his heating on 24/7 and said he was getting much lower bills as a result.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

had a small extension a couple of years ago, the floor was news to me, did the sub floor and the laid about 9" thick (from memory) expanded foam layer, and more concrete on top, finished of with ceramic tiles, that is warm to walk on even this week