cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Heating

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Central Heating

During very cold spells does it make sense to leave the central heating on all night ? Clearly it would be turned down to a lower tempature during the night but then turned to a higher tempature when you got up it would not take as much energy to reach the higher tempature.
If you are out most of the day then it's unlikely this is something you would do but assume you are elderly and at home for most of the day would it make more sense to do this ?
21 REPLIES
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Central Heating

Energywise, better not.  The heat loss (and therefore heat needed to put into the system) will depend on house temperature, so letting it get really code in the night will save a little energy.
It can be worth having it on a little overnight for other reasons.  One obvious one is comfort.  Another ... When we left the house in Durham for a week in the cold winter of 1979 (sadly to househunt down south) we left the heating on low, but still on timer.  The house got a tiny bit warm in the day, but cold enough at night that some water froze in the central heating pipes.  So the heating could not come on again the next day, and by the end of the week everything froze.  We were lucky that the only burst pipe was at a compression joint and that we saw it in time and were able to fix it.
I think modern thermostats have a froststat setting that comes in at around 4 degrees even when the timer is off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In terms of efficiency & economy, it's better to maintain a reasonably constant heat than it is to turn it down a lot at night and fire it up and burn a load of gas/electricity to get it back up to a high temperature...
I have set the 'stat in this house to be 16.5 during the night, 18.5 in the morning, 17.5 during the day, 18 in the evening and 17 just before going back to the 16.5, uses less gas, it's all automatic, does the job, and if I feel cold, I add clothing... Smiley
Anything over 20 degrees and I feel too hot...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well its an interesting question, We go off to bed around 9 - 10 at night, I'm up at 5 for work, Mrs P can't get up (disabled) until I'm home again around 9:30 and often in the winter prefers to stay in bed for a while longer, so there is often 12 - 13 hours when the heating is not being used, it takes an hour or so to get to a tolerable temperature, so I don't really see the point of leaving it on all the time and simply use the living room stat to control it. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If like me and you have no temperature control on your CH, but a basic control on each radiator.  Can you afford not to, if your pipes freeze?
If there is a big freeze on, I will put my heating on for 30 minutes last thing and see what it is like after that.  If my kitchen is barely warm then I will set the radiators on low and leave it running.  I would rather waste £2 on gas over night to not have a plumber out the next day.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Marksfish
Grafter

Quote from: twocvbloke
Anything over 20 degrees and I feel too hot...

Wish you could persuade my wife of that!!!
We have our heating at 20C during the evening and drop it to 17C when we go to work. I am looking at getting one of these Hive things, or equivalent, as I don't want to be getting up in the morning with it being colder and waiting for it to warm up.
Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I've had a simple programmable stat like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/horstmann-hrfs1-programmable-room-thermostat/93829 for a few years now. Much simpler than the hive thing but very good and much cheaper. Its set to 14deg overnight so the house Nevers gets too cold.
Community Veteran

We are both retired and indoors most of the time.
We have the control stat set to a minimum temp of 18C and daytime temp of 20.5C. We never turn the heating off in summer - leave the control stat to monitor that.
All rads have thermostatic valves to control local temperatures!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Marksfish
Wish you could persuade my wife of that!!!

Just buy her a set of onesies... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@NedLudd,
If you heating is on all the time will your central heating pump be running continuously ?
@otherposts,
Some interesting comments there.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
If you heating is on all the time will your central heating pump be running continuously?
The pump should only run when the thermostat is asking for heat.  Better to think of the heating being enabled all the time but only on when the thermostat requires it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Thank you w23!  Wink
That is the case.
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 123

I have tried for years to stop my mother from treating the thermostat as an on/off switch. - she simply turns the knob to the minimum and believes it is off.
One winter morning after my brother left in the early hours forgetting to close the door behind him upstairs was sweltering yet downstairs was still cold. It must have been 4 or 5 hours before it was noticed!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

My heating comes on at 08:30 and switches off at 22:30.
The house never drops below 16oC.
The room stat is set to 20.5oC.
The south facing windows get quite warm on a sunny winter day and the house can get up to 23 degrees even though it's -2 outside.
A friend of mine said their heating was switched on 24/7 all year round and said his gas bill was much less than mine Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 102

according to mse it's more expensive http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths#heatingon
Will Moderate For Thanks