cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Heating, well not in my case.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Central Heating, well not in my case.

I live in a bungalow with Gas CH the dial thermostat in the hall is set to 21 but my digital clock with thermostat in the same hallway says, it's 17.6 and my heating is off! The radiator in the hall without the thermostat on it is cold, and if I wind the dial thermostat back it clicks at about 15/16.
This morning when I got up the house was cold and a trip to the garage told me there was no water pressure, so I fixed that by opening the valves and brought it up to 1.5bar. I've double checked all radiator and all 'bleed' water, so I'm confused and cold. The heating's been re-pressured for over 3 hours now.
Any thoughts?
32 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Central Heating, well not in my case.

Try turning the power to the boiler off and on again.
It could be a simple reset, or a stuck motorised valve, a power issue, or a faulty boiler, or lots of things!
Community Veteran

I guess this is the equivalent of a Ctrl+Alt+Del on the heating system. So it works for Windows, so I'll give it a go.
Community Veteran

Look for a water leak around the radiator valves.  If the heating is still not working your circulation pump may have died  following burnout when trying to pump no water.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Could be boiler, pump or valve.
Is the boiler warm when switched on for a while ? If not check the fuse.
Is the pump working ? With the thermostat set to high touch the pump, if  working you should feel a slight vibration from the motor.
The valve should also make a slight noise when the thermostat clicks to on. If you suspect the valve some models have a small plastic thumb screw which allows you to turn the valve manually.
We have a house insurance policy which adds £55 a year to the policy which provides cover for household emergencies including central heating problems so this is something worth thinking about.
Community Veteran

Well weirdly all seems well now. I don't know if the On/Off had anything to do with it but after doing that it came back to life about an hour later. I've called the Gas Man anyway and he's going to come over later today, to do what he does.
Thanks all for the input.
P.S. @gleneagles I don't have a clue as to where the pump is, I've got a cupboard full of plumbing stuff in the hall but there is no obvious (red) pump there. I'll elicit that information from the Gas Man later when he comes round as he should know as he installed it.
pwatson
Rising Star

Silly question - Do you have a programmer (timeswitch) as well as a thermostat?  If so, what time is the heating set to come on? Smiley
Community Veteran

I do and it's on 24/7 and always is, regardless of the time of year and I rely on the thermostat to keep things under control.
nanotm
Pro

I had the exact same problem with my system, caused by the boiler expansion valve being faulty, my system pressure will go up and down like a yo-yo sometimes refusing to work and others running slightly hot, cant wait for the housing to replace the faulty part .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

That's interesting nanotm. I don't know how often it should need doing but I have made few trips to the garage to do whatever it is called when I top it up with water to raise the pressure. Easy seeing I'm no heating engineer!
Community Veteran

Sounds like the pressure vessel inside the boiler, which is a fairly common part to go.
There will be a discharge pipe from the boiler which lets water out when the pressure gets too high. It might be worth checking this to see if you notice water being let out from this.
If it is the pressure vessel, the cheapest fix will be to get an external one put in - it looks like this
Community Veteran

I guess that is what is attached to the pressure gauge I can see on the boiler face, but oddly I have a similar item in the hall cupboard but without the gauge on it.
pwatson
Rising Star

I think conclusions are being prematurely drawn...
Mook - How often are you topping the system up?  What pressure does the boiler gauge show when the system is hot?  
If the system pressure increases by more than around 0.5 bar as the system heats up then the expansion vessel probably needs re-pressurising.  If the pressure goes above 3 bar then the expansion vessel may well have failed.  A quick test is to see if water comes out the schrader valve (car tyre type) on the expansion vessel.
If the discharge pipe is wet and the pressure isn't going above 3 bar then the over pressure valve has either failed or has a bit of grit in its seat.  Try operating it briefly (and then topping up) to see if that clears the problem.
If the discharge pipe is dry and the system pressure doesn't change significantly between cold and hot but drops over time - You've got a leak somewhere!
Community Veteran

Well I've filled it three times since end of Nov '14 till now. But originally when it first stopped (Nov '14) I didn't know what the error code meant, so called the Gas Man out and he said it was 'normal' and showed me what to do. But how often normal is I don't know.
The pressure according to the gauge is about 1.5bar. I can't say I've noticed any change but the house is back up to temp now so it's turned off, but I'll have a look later to see what the gauge says. As for doing the other stuff, I'm not comfortable doing that, I suspect Gas Man will do all of that when he arrives.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mook
I guess that is what is attached to the pressure gauge I can see on the boiler face, but oddly I have a similar item in the hall cupboard but without the gauge on it.

That's probably for the hot water supply to the taps. We have two of those 'bombs' in our airing cupboard.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)