Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Heating... Time v Temperature

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Central Heating... Time v Temperature

We find if we leave the CH on overnight, even on minimum heating it can get a bit claggy and claustrophobic.

What we do, is after 9pm, we have the heating controller on the boiler set to fire up for 15 minutes every hour, on the hour.

This is enough to take the chill off the air, yet not too much to raise the overall temperature to an uncomfortable level whilst sleeping.

The hysteresis on the thermostat is too wide to enable fine control.

Then back to normal at 9am for the next day.

10 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Central Heating... Time v Temperature

Just switch the CH off. Entirely.

Infinity
Pro

Tried that !!

Here in the countryside of Derbyshire, on  hill far far away......at the moment, it's too cold at 3am, 4am and needs something to take the chill off.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Have you tried a 16·5 tog duvet?

Not young enough to know everything
St3
All Star

I was told that you use more energy firing up a boiler, either way you pay for what you need.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

of course you could get a low hysteresis thermostat

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

The heating we have (gas) has a setting on each radiator that's marked 1 to 6 then a  'snowflake'. We find putting the radiator in the bedroom on to that setting keeps the bedroom at a nice temperature during chilly nights, although we do have a 10.5 tog quilt on the bed.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

The snowflake is frost protection I discovered after several years, i.e. hot water will be allowed into the radiator when the temperature of the room drops below a certain level even if the valve is 'closed'.  I'm surprised the temperature in your bedroom drops that low.

During the cold winters we had a few years ago I tried setting the heating to come on for an hour in the middle of the night, but the clicking sound of radiators heating up woke me, so that idea had to be scrapped.  I sometimes use a fan heater set to 20C, and earplugs to stop me being woken by the click when the heater switches on and off.

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Jonpe

It doesn't drop that low but it's the setting wifey prefers during summer. In winter she has it set to number 4 or 5, depending how cold it gets.   

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Fixes: 47

Since having double glazing and cavity wall insulation, the house internal temperature rarely drops below 18 degrees at night even with sub zero temperatures outside.

This has reduced my energy consumption significantly..........and this was before my smart meters were installed.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote: (in 2012)
I recently had my loft insulation vastly increased for free, under a local council scheme, the property  previously had cavity wall insulation injected.
SInce the loft was done, it is definitely warmer upstairs, but conversely downstairs feels colder now.
Main thermostat is downstairs, so upstairs gets too warm at times.
Even with rad stats.

The hall is always cold when it's chilly outside, and I do keep a kitchen window open whilst in the home.
There is a difference, let's see what it's like at night, with no heating on.

2017:

It's too hot !!!!!!!!

Even with CH turned off, even at the moment when it's 12ºC outside, and bedroom windows open !!

Most rooms upstairs stay at a constant 24ºC after being warmed by the downstairs CH when it has been on daytime...

Don't need radiators on at all upstairs most days/nights.

Though not helped by Bathroom radiator, which is nearly always hot due to boiler hot water demands, for safety I understand and should never be turned off.