cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Census 2021

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: Census 2012

I believe the questions topics will include Gender Identity and also Sexual Orientation. 

Wonder how the ONS work out a margin of error. I expect they will employ Professor Ferguson as a consultant.  He is the one who declared everyone should be locked down to avoid 250k dead while he popped out to visit somebody else's wife! 😀

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 63

If they do, @TeeGee , they will be ignored on my form - does it really matter, and as both can change, what use are they?

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@TeeGee 

Seems a bit nonsensical to me to designate for years to come on those personality whims that might change such as gender identity and sexual orientation. Your address, number of kids and even your job, but the rest makes no sense to me.

Family historians of the future are sure going to have their work cut out for them. Finding out your sister once was your mum out of wedlock and a under a different name is one thing, but to discover also that you Auntie May was really your Uncle George married to somebody who identified as neither male of female.... 

Does such a lifestyle really have to be documented?  

Jeepers.   

@jab1 

You sort of beat me to it!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 63

@Minivanman In answer to your last question above - NO

John
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

It was only in 1981 that ethnicity was introduced on census forms.  Our borough was one of the areas selected to do a dummy census the year before I think it was.  A large number of people refused to answer the new questions but they were still on the proper census in '81.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Just as important for those like myself interested in family history is the 1921 Census for England, Wales and Scotland which will be released in its entirety in less than a year from now.

As for the one to be completed this year it's going to be interesting to see how politically correct those questions have become with regards to race, gender and ethnicity.  

ISTR that  a short period of free access to newly released census records is given to all before those Mormons (who AFAIK seem to have got their clutches on UK genealogy, census etc. records) start raking in fees to see them.

If you can read the handwritten records it's sometimes quite surprising what they reveal.  I couldn't quite believe it when I looked at the 1901 census and found that I had a great grandfather on my mothers side who appeared to identify as what appeared to be a 'Uranium Miner', even though the handwriting was legible.

Uranium.PNG

I wondered how that could be possible but when I Googled it, it was quite feasible;

South Terras Mine

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

That's really interesting not to say unusual and Cornwall came to mind when I read it. Was your maternal great grandfather from down that way?

It is amazing what you find out though.

As for those Mormons they collect names so they so they can submit them for some sort of latter day baptism to save our souls. Shades of 'Rice Christianity' but with survival being replaced by being reunited in some afterlife.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

That's really interesting not to say unusual and Cornwall came to mind when I read it. Was your maternal great grandfather from down that way?

Yes he was @Minivanman . Wink  Thumbs_Up

Steve
Seasoned Pro

To those concerned.

Background on Scotland's Census 2022 Smiley

https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/background-scotlands-census-2022

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.