cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Censored report

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Censored report

The government has censored sections of the report on the effect of house prices where fracking is planned.
What legal right does the government have to censor reports that are no threat to the security of the country ?
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/10/fracking-censored-house-price-report
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Censored report

Quote from: gleneagles
What legal right does the government have to censor reports that are no threat to the security of the country ?

I suspect none but since when has that stopped them breaking the law? This government are all about making money with their corrupt chums just like Gordon Brown and Tony Blair.
I know people will hate me for saying it but John Major whilst being a boring sod, at least he wasn't really what most of us would say is corrupt, he just did his job and genuinely looked out for the country. These days our current mob are all out for expenses, fame, riches and grovelling to the rich for perks when they get booted out.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

not knowing exactly what parts of the report were redacted makes it difficult to say if there are any national security issues, it could be conveyed there were if they say mentioned potential well site locations because any disruption to such sites would endanger the UK's energy options ......
Ms Lucas is just bent out of shape because she doesn't have the required clearance to view the unedited document  Grin
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

do a FOI request.
I had this discussion with my sister the other week.
The problem is high house prices is not good for the country, it means there is under supply of housing.
So if we solve the under supply issue then it ultimately means house prices will come down, at least in areas where new houses are built, but it seems everyone only cares about the value of their home so oppose what is needed.  People need to start looking at as a place to live rather than a investment.  Unless you planning to sell then the value isnt a big deal.
Community Veteran

Fracking may well be the answer, not many things will bring down the price of a house than a fracking site nearby.
I Guess a number of people opposed to fracking are those who own property in the area.
Community Veteran

If you look at the experience in America after an initial blip house prices picked up again and actually increased in areas where fracking was carried out.
Community Veteran

There was an interesting article in the Times a couple of months back about the ownership of land beneath your house. I previously assumed you would own your land and everything beneath it, but apparently not - http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/faqs/what-are-mine-and-mineral-rights
In theory, a mining company can buy the mineral rights of the land below your house and you wouldn't be entitled to a penny. In practice though, I expect you would be compensated.
Community Veteran

The report apparently makes it clear that homeowners won't get compensated individually. The only compensation is the payment of the community contribution.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

It's a government issued report from what I quickly read - they can put in it or leave out what they like, I don't think "legal right/legality" comes into it.
Why don't the Guardian do a FOI request?
One comment I spotted on the Guardian article
Time to get tracking – and building more nuclear power stations.
The alternative is to be stretched over a Middle Eastern or a Russian oil barrel.
As for the report: use is to generate power.

I think he meant Fracking.  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
Why don't the Guardian do a FOI request?

The report was released as a result of a FOI request in the first place  Cheesy
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/337645/RFI6751_Economics_o...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Ah ha, a dilemma.
Community Veteran

gov departments can be evasive, sometimes have to do repeated FOI requests for the information they censor out.
sometimes even a judge in a court has to force the issue.
Community Veteran

As had already been said there could be issues of national security. Also possible is confidential commercial information that could harm a company if made public.
Community Veteran

@Artmo,You might be right but there is a danger that the government could block parts or all of a report on these grounds so taken to the extreme it could be pointless in making any report available to the public.
One has only to think of the Chilcott & Kelly reports that were blocked from the public.
Also remember the farce of tourists in London stopped from taking pictures of parliament, they don't even do that in Russia.
Our freedom is constantly being eroded and more restrictions placed on what we do or say.
Community Veteran

I'm sure when Parliament re-sits many MPs from all parties will be pressing for details of the redacted bits Wink