cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cenotaph coverage

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Cenotaph coverage

Did anybody else find the BBC's decision to cut short the Remembrance day parade at the Cenotaph, in favour of the Abu Dhabi GP at best unusual at worst reprehensible?
Ok, coverage did continue on the red button. Why? could the GP have been on the red button.
This annual event means a great deal to very many people. Probably far more than the reported relatively "few" (recent figures) who are interested in watching the GP coverage.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cenotaph coverage

I was astonished at their decision.  I am not a GP fan and throughout the summer Sunday mornings have been disrupted for it.  I like the Andrew Marr show which is normally on BBC1 at 9am.  It has often been delayed, cancelled or moved to BBC2.  I also like The Politics Show which has suffered a similar fate.  Today the Politics Show has been delayed until 3.10pm.
Why can't the GP be shown on BBC2?  I can see why it can't be moved at present to BBC3 or BBC4 but after April this could be a solution as both channels do not broadcast until the evenings.
I will contact the BBC to see if they will explain their reasoning.
nadger
Rising Star

As F1fan I'd best not comment  Roll eyes
Needless to say, as one who remembers WW2 and did National Service ( 3603 Craftsman Nadger), I did watch the parade.
Community Veteran

Seems like you can't please all of the people all of the time. Which ever channel the they put the F1 on someone will be upset with the change.
I like F1 and watch all the coverage through the race weekend, some on the tv and some online. I would not care which channel the BBC put it on as long as all the action was covered.
Community Veteran

On BBC2 at the time there was a film 'On Moonlight Bay' made in 1951 Undecided  A bit of forward planning could have saved both the Cenotaph and the GP coverage. The film could have been shown at a later date.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Why can't the GP be shown on BBC2? 

Because BBC2 is not a HD channel. So the question should be should Remembrance Sunday be on BBC2.
Community Veteran

Why does the GP have to be shown in HD?  Anyway there's always BBC HD that could be used although not universally available.
Fixes: 104

BBC HD is available on all platforms, so if you can get BBC1 HD one would assume you can get BBC HD as well.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Yes as you say if you can get BBC1 HD you can also get BBC HD.  I meant that if you can't get BBC1 HD you have the option to view in standard def.  You don't have this option with BBC HD so it has a limited audience.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: artmo
Why can't the GP be shown on BBC2? 

Because BBC2 is not a HD channel. So the question should be should Remembrance Sunday be on BBC2.

Do you really need HDTV to watch overpaid men drive overengineered motor vehicles in circles?
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto
Do you really need HDTV to watch overpaid men drive overengineered motor vehicles in circles?

No you don't but HD enhances the experience.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Oddball
No you don't but HD enhances the experience.
Don't think anything will/can enhance the experience.
For me GP is the same as rugby, boxing and cricket.
Mind you, I like tennis and snooker which many others find just as boring Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Each to their own!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Mind you, I like tennis and snooker which many others find just as boring Roll eyes

I'm with you on the tennis Mav.  Looking forward to the World Tour Finals which open at the O2 on Sunday.  Got my tickets and can't wait Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
.... So the question should be should Remembrance Sunday be on BBC2.

I didn't actually watch the coverage, or any TV for that matter, but if the did have to cut it short on BBC1 then showing the full coverage on BBC2 sounds like a better option to me. I never quite understand the distinctions between BBC1 & BBC2 as in my mind they are equal and give the BBC twice the airtime. The additional BBC channels are only available for those with suitable equipment so I discount them.