Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 32

Re: Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

@Alex My 128GB Integral is only used as my third-line back-up for my music, but the boredom comes when I want to add to it - there's around 65GB on there, and it takes a while.😉

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@jab1 wrote:

@Alex As a point of interest, you can get flash drives of 128GB (possibly 256), but they are very slow to load.

I don't know what speeds are obtainable with more modern devices, but it's been possible to buy some fairly fast USB3 sticks for quite a while, I bought one of these several years ago and I remember reading at the time the controller chip was the same as that used in some SSDs.

SanDisk SDCZ80-064G-X46 64 GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive

From the results below, saved when I first bought and checked the device, I see it was actually 2014.

20140422 - SanDisk 64GB Extreme USB 3.0 (Formatted NTFS - 4096byte units)
Warning: Only 59734 of 59836 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 127 MByte/s
Reading speed: 129 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Although that particular item has been superceded there are newer models listed on (e.g.) Amazon, and at a much lower price than I paid!

SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 64 GB Flash Drive

Highlighted
Hero

@RobPN On more modern gear, probably much faster than my 8 y.o RV511 (core i3, USB2) machine, but as it is only my back-up back-up , it does me fine.😁

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 

If your laptop has a PC Card (expansion) slot, it may be possible to find a cheap USB 3 adaptor to slot into it, thereby giving you a very cheap upgrade. Depending on the laptop and the card chosen, it's sometimes possible to slot one in which finishes flush with the edge of the laptop case and you wouldn't even know it was there.

eg  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=PCMCIA+USB3&i=computers&ref=nb_sb_noss

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=PCMCIA+USB3&_sacat=42190

Highlighted
Hero

@RobPN Sadly, no, but as I usually load smaller pen-drives (if needed) or SD cards up to 16GB from my cameras, not a big problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

My two main USB  back-up drives are mains powered, so don't have this problem of slow loading.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Alex wrote:

Fair enough @jab1 didn't know that.

I would only use it for file storage,.

Well you ain't gonna be using it to polish your shoes!!! 🤣

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yup @7up I was referring to watching video and stuff - I hardly watch TV and not films. I have seen enough drama and horror in real life, so I don't need to watch fiction. All I do is watch the news a bit given what is going on at the moment.

I found a 128Gb memory stick for 28 paaand on-line. Well happy with that. Coming in a week which is fine. Didn't realise they were that cheap now! Not complaining, and thanks all for the advice to people on the forum.

What else do I backup on the rest of it I think. Quite a lot of space left. I can think of a few things, including my Uni stuff (if I can find it).

I'm in backup mode big time now 😉

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Alex wrote:

I found a 128Gb memory stick for 28 paaand on-line. Well happy with that. Coming in a week which is fine. Didn't realise they were that cheap now! Not complaining, and thanks all for the advice to people on the forum.

What else do I backup on the rest of it I think. Quite a lot of space left. I can think of a few things, including my Uni stuff (if I can find it).

I'm in backup mode big time now 😉

@Alex 

128GB ?

£28 ?

Hopefully it will be faster than this £23 / 128GB one which is the larger version of the one I linked to on Amazon yesterday in post #47 above.  Wink

https://www.picstop.co.uk/sandisk-extreme/sandisk-extreme-go-usb-31-flash-drive-128gb.html

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Don't be too sure on that delivery time Alex, it took 3 weeks for royal mail to deliver my sons birthday cards.
I'm still waiting for my replacement phone battery too.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yep I appreciate it may be delayed with what is going on now, still have my Blu Ray burner with blank discs.

My plan (unusual, for me as I don't usually do plans) is to just burn a couple more discs. Until it arrives.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Now at 115 days (and 21 hours lol)... I probably should reboot it really but it's still ticking although it does get a bit sluggish at times its still doing what i need and would still get sluggish once rebooted with all my stuff running..

screenshot-1085

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

Could you not migrate your 'stuff' to Linux Arm and replace the machine with a Pi @7up 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Possibly however I do like the windows experience. I've also written my own dns nameserver which runs as a service 24/7 and i can't be faffed to start that again in another language lol.

I do have a lot of respect for linux and the RPi but there is quite a sharp learning curve to it in many ways. With windows i know how to setup the networking, tweak this, that, x,y,z etc.

I suppose at some point i'll be forced to switch anyway as the world is going android / RPi etc anyway but for the time being i'm sticking with windows as my primary OS.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@Alex wrote:I found a 128Gb memory stick for 28 paaand on-line. Well happy with that. Coming in a week which is fine. Didn't realise they were that cheap now! 😉

I wouldn't be too sure about anything with Amazon of late. Apart from the saga with my CPU, I ordered an M2.NVMe drive yesterday evening - arriving Sunday. Got an email this morning - updated delivery date - shifted to the first week in JULY!!! I cancelled. Paid a few pounds more with CCL Computers, and just had confirmation its arriving tomorrow!

For some reason I back up ALL my emails. I can go back to 2007 without too much problem. I even come across the odd email to do with Nildram, which harks back to something like 1998.

Good luck.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno i got mail poredating 2007!

Last time Yahoo offered the ability to even see the number of emails (a feature they've removed) I had over 25k emails - over 8k of them being sent mail.

As for amazon you got to be careful with them at the moment. A mate of mine ordered a new CPU for his system a few months back. What turned up was the correct box but an incorrect CPU - someone had opened the box, taken the correct one and put an old CPU in the box. He opened a case and was told to send back for a refund. He sent it back, amazon decided to lose it and swallow £500. Silly boy hadn't bothered keeping the prof of postage either. He did eventually get it sorted but amazon tried every trick in the book to ensure he remained swindled, refusing to look at it without the postage serial number they'd provided for the return which had been sent to him in an email as a html linked image - which naturally vanished after he'd returned it. Around 2 months later he did eventually find that returns number hidden away on their website and they did refund him - after 2 months!

I wouldn't trust amazon at all for anything IT related other than a mouse / keyboard. Jeff Bezos has a habit of not giving a damn.