Fixes: 1

Re: Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

#gleneagles
Power supply = BANG!! both hard drives gone 🙂
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Last PSU I had fail on me didn't kill the HDDs, it just went into "Nope, I'm on strike" mode and refused to power up, which was fun being a Lenovo SFF system PSU which was somewhat unique to the case and needed a compatible replacement, though I did lash up a standard ATX PSU that sat outside the thing 'til the replacement was acquired...

Then the 5v rail caps on the motherboard failed a couple years on, so, erm, yeah... 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Bogbody wrote:
#gleneagles
Power supply = BANG!! both hard drives gone 🙂

That’s assuming both external HDDs were connected at the same time...

Of course I use one of those adaptors that prevent spikes or similar problems but how effective they are I have no idea.

There are of course power supplies that continue to run for a short period if the main power supply cut off but admit I do not have one, no doubt those who depend on their software for work may well use them.

Highlighted
Grafter

I fix pc's "on the side" was my day job. Mainly hardware wise, replaced many capacitors over the years. 🙂
A psu going AWOL might as well mean HDD "gone" for most people.
Backup? No chance!
All your holiday/family pictures were on that hard drive? You erased and reused the same SD card for years?
Did you copy them off onto an external hard drive like I suggested?
No? Ah ........
🙂
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Bogbody 

Out of interest do you mean the HDD that the main operating system is on or all the HDDs that are connected to the computer at the time of the failure ?
I also assume ....but could be wrong, that if the main operating system was on a SSD then that would also fail....

Nearest I had to a power failure was years ago when the desktop would shut down at random intervals, changed the power supply for a well known make that cost a few £s more ....problem solved.

Highlighted
Grafter

Well it depends on how the power supply fails. Most times (fortunatly) the 12V and 5V are ok ....
To most people if the pc doesn't power up their data has gone.
Most of the time the HDDs survive. They dont need power to "remember" their contents/data.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think (it was after reading this thread), I decided to use my Blu Ray burner for the first time and back up my photos. It has important ones, especially photos of people who are no longer with me. I will say no more there. 🤐

I've had it installed for a few years in my PC, never used it. Photos are the most important thing to me. I've used on-line backup companies and they deleted my files even though the subscription and payments were in order. Wasn't happy so I cancelled that.

Thought "I shouldn't be so lazy and do the job myself".

I got recommended some free software from my friend who is a sysadmin and knows his stuff. Always handy to have a sysadmin friend I've learned. 😉 

Worked really well and the backup job took me about 15 minutes and was a walk in the park. Got one copy here and will do another and leave the disc at another location. Probably my sisters, who doesn't live far from me.

Highlighted
All Star

On a DR scale you've moved from 0 to 1. Next time consider USB sticks rather than CD/DVDs and get them away from you house.

Highlighted
Grafter

Alex

Thats a good step ahead.

Now get a USB hard drive and/or a USB flash drive and copy the pictures to them using plain vanilla copy and paste   "COPY" not cut! As they are family photos (no financial info !!) dont encrypt them or use any special backup software, as mentioned "plain vanilla copy and paste".

Then plug the USB device into another PC and check that you can "see" them all. As they are family photos (no financial info !!) dont encrypt them or use any special backup software, as mentioned just "plain vanilla copy and paste".

If you take the USB device to another family member, label the USB device clearly and make sure that they understand NOT to use it --- it's to be stored for you just in case. Check that their PC can read the USB device i.e. it not too old or does not support USB !!!

Have a copy at your home kept in a different room away from the PC/lappy --- again clearly labeled and dont use it for anything else.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Thanks all for the advice,

Their PC is more acient than mine.

I just know the old system of leaving backup media at different locations. Just in case. I would not run the risk of on-line storage or someone putting dodgy on my computer.

I have a Boots near me, so when that re-opens properly, I want to get some 6" x 4" photos done with a frame from a couple of shops near me, which for £1.50 for the print, and £3.00 for a frame locally. I live in London (so to give it a cockey accent I have to say paaaand!). 😀

Highlighted
All Star

I use snapfish.co.uk , they often have a 6x4 for 10p offer.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Thanks all for the advice, read my posts again and I forgot if I mentioned the total size. It is about 12Gb. Sounds a lot but they date back to around 2001 - so it isn't really. 

So they fit fine on a Blu Ray, that amount is not going to go onto a USB stick though. I've got some removeable HD's which I can use.

I think I need to just make a lot more backups are spread them around to different locations. Got my house and my sisters to start with. My sysadmin friend would store some copies in the Comms Room at work I know. 

No dodgy photos on there (honest guv!), so I don't need to bother with encryption at least. 🤣

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 32

@Alex As a point of interest, you can get flash drives of 128GB (possibly 256), but they are very slow to load.

John
Highlighted
All Star

I recently picked up a cheap Sandisk 16GB stick from Sainsburys, needed it in a hurry. If you shop around on the internet there'll be some good deals out there.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Fair enough @jab1 didn't know that.

I would only use it for file storage, so I am guessing the load time is not really going to be a problem. Only really if you're trying to stream video et al.

Good idea, I will look into it. I know optical media degrades over time, so that is a safer option. So I will look into it.