Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

@Mook  I know, about 20years ago visited my sister in USA and went to the Technology museum in Boston and one of the exhibits was  a 360/40 so was feeling old back then!!!!🤣

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,026

@gleneagles wrote:

What I should have said is the second HDD has a copy of everything on the first HDD....the chances of 2 HDDs failing at the same time are remote so hopefully will not have to touch any wood.

But what about an offsite backup?

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

These days you don't even need off site - just what a huge SD card in your phone and you're done!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted

It'd have to be really huge, my offsite backup is almost 2TB!
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I used to have a HP Microserver. Got it at a bargain price with a cash back offer. So the server cost something like £200, but the bigger cost was getting 4 HD's. Got them and managed to configure it into a RAID 5 array, and I got on well with the sysadmin who got me a Windows Server license from work - handy that!

One tip is to be nice to sysadmins and buy them a drink I learned 😎 Well it is cheaper than having to pay for a Windows Server license. Being a server OS I could remote desktop into it from work or my phone. Don't think I had a static IP (but there are ways around that, can't remember how I did it now).

Quite liked it - only disappointing thing is it only lasted for around 3 years before dying on me. Still the whole setup cost me around £450. Was quite qutted about that 😢 Not too bad in the grand scheme of things I guess, but good while it lasted.

@7up if you haven't already I would pay the PlusNet the 5 paaaannnd (I live in London and that's how we say it here, it's an old joke with my friends!) and get a static IP and get remote access sorted - just because you can and it's cool. May as well as you're leaving it on all the time. As not you're not using a server based OS, it won't have Remote Desktop Server so you won't be able to use RDP - however there are alternatives such as WinVNC I believe. Not sure as I didn't use them.

Then you can brag to your friends you run your own server from home and show them your accessing from your server from your phone. May as well as you're leaving it on all the time to show off a bit. 😊

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Alex I already have a vnc server running lol and dynamic DNS so I can access it (also got Apache web server and FileZilla FTP server running on it).
Any Pro version gives you a RDP server - Windows XP, 7, presumably 8 and 10..
On XP I found a hack that would let you have multiple RDP sessions at the same time..
I connect in via VPN connection and using an app on my phone called xplore I can access all my files.
But setting up a raid system is still something I need to look at.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fair enough @7up I see you've got it sorted 😀

RAID is quite good, it is just the cost of the disks which is a pain in the backside. I found setting it up a bit difficult but not terrible. Once you get that sorted on remote access, like I did, you'll be happy.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@dvorak wrote:
It'd have to be really huge, my offsite backup is almost 2TB!

Considering you can buy MicroSD cards that are 1 TeraByte in size, you can literally have all your data at your fingertips, or thumbnails at least... 😁

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/memory-cards/sandisk-extreme-uhs-i-microsd#SDSQXA1-1T00-AN6...

(Other flash storage companies are available, I just picked them cos brand loyalty)

Highlighted

I already do, as with all backup plans there are multiple levels and redenduancy.

2 x timemachine backups
1 x SSD clone of machine boot drive updated automatically weekly
Automatically uploaded offsite backup with 1 year history for all files.
Most documents are also synched to OneDrive as well.

Mosy of that is just set and forget with testing once a month or so to make sure they're working correctly.

Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

What I should have said is the second HDD has a copy of everything on the first HDD....the chances of 2 HDDs failing at the same time are remote so hopefully will not have to touch any wood.

But what about an offsite backup?

Can you be certain that a offsite backup can be relied on, ie Hacked, physical damage.

How secure is it assuming it’s a free offsite back up ....

Rather have my stuff to hand on HDD with a exact copy on a second HDD.

Any internet problems and I can still access my data.....

I admit it depends on how much you really need to store but cost of HDD with large capacities are fairly cheap.

Highlighted

If you read my post above you'll see there are 3 copies (at least) locally Smiley

I pay for my offsite backup (Backblaze) and back up all the machines for that. It's very secure - traffic is encrypted in transmssion and at their end, but I also took the option of creating a key which only I have to decrypt the data.

Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

Rather have my stuff to hand on HDD with a exact copy on a second HDD.

Any internet problems and I can still access my data.....

Flood, fire or theft and your data's gone!

If you're not following the "3-2-1 rule' (as a minimum) then you're not backed up IMO

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Flood....no chance we are 87 mtrs above sea level with the nearest higher ground, Lake District fells 70 miles away.

Fire....keep the drive in a fire proof safe.

Theft....Take a strong person to rip a safe fixed on wall and carry it down the road, assuming they managed to stop the house alarm.....and then only to discover it was full of general documents and an encrypted external drive.

I have lost data in the past.....the tape in my tape recorder connected to my BBC micro went wrong after a number of uses.

On a more serious note I accept someone keeping data in connection with their work or finances should indeed have the types of backup mentioned by yourself and others.

😊

Highlighted

Mine has all my work on it Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Grafter
Fixes: 1

#7up not bad. Windows vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 are fine. I ran Vista for years and long after (2 years?) support ceased. I had no problems with it. Windows 8, 8.1 did not fare so well mainly because MS changed the UI too much. My customers struggled because "nothing was in the same place"
MS failed to realise that most people dont spend all day in front of their PC. A friend of mine used to use his PC once a week to run payroll ... (cue phone calls Sunday night / Monday morning !!) His biz has grown and following recomendations from his accountant he now has a part-timer come in and sort out his bookeeping and payroll. Level of calls has dropped to nothing (she calls somebody else !! 🙂 )
Oh ... and #7up .... a power down and check/dust all fans and heatsinks, check for any bulging/leaking capacitors would be a good idea. Remember that (if you relay on it) that hard drives last 5 to 7 years ... perhaps clone the disk onto a new one and keep the old as a backup???
🙂