Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

Hi Guys!

A few years ago we had a thread about who had the longest uptime. Can't remember who did well out of that but there were several *nix users commenting.. some slating winblows..

Well today I am celebrating!

I am running Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM (lower grade than enterprise or professional) on a single core 2GHz processor with 4GB of ram.

I;ve had to restart a few services, log off, log on, suffer long disk paging times and various other near misses that almost caused a restart, several things have stopped working (like the desktop shortcut for my wifi adapter) the fans are clogged and there's dust everywhere all over the outside of the case lol.... but I can finally share with you... I've made it to.....

100 DAYS of UPTIME!!!! - from a budget operating system! Here's the proof!:

screenshot-1081

Now the only question is do i leave it running or finally give this instance of windows a reat and reboot it?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
63 REPLIES 63
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,026

Re: Celebrating Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM!

awww that's cute, one of my linux boxes:

15:11:31 up 561 days, 21:33
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 129

Seeing as all support ended in January maybe you should boot it, literally, as in boot it out.

The cinnamon version of Linux Mint 19.1 would run well on that machine and would probably be much more secure.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@Baldrick1   however,,.... ZORIN 15.2 is even better, and much more like Windows....

If you want to run windows progs, on it... ( it is based on Linux )  all you need to do is download the windows prog... and "click" on the ".exe" file, as you would with windows..... ZORIN, will ask if you want to use the Windows application .. and it will download and install WINE4   automatically, then proceed with installing the Windows prog of your choice ! ...

If your windows prog needs some "extra bits".. then it will likely inform you, and all you need to do is to agree/install    what could be simpler  ? ? ?

No writing scripts  no "terminal"/"command" lines to write.. it just happens ! ! ! ...

There is a ton of additional software in the software menu too ! ! !...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I just love how the linux squad are all over this...

What you guys gotta remember is that Win7HP was not supposed to compete with the reliability of Pro or Enterprise which can go for months / years.

It's a very basic PC which came at a very basic cost - £97 from ASDA (reduced from £250 lol) and it came with keyboard, monitor and mouse. Would you expect a machine bought for £97 to run that long on a budget windows OS? - I wouldn't!

I've just calculated that at the time of the screenshot, the HDD has done 1036809600 revolutions (excluding those before windows started counting it's uptime). Yes, One billion, 36 million, 809 thousand and 600 revolutions.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@7up  Contrary to popular belief..... I am also running Windows    !  .

I am running Windows 7 Home basic  because I cannot get one of my progs to run on Linux..

I am not saying that Linux is better ( or worse ) than Windows... All I am saying is that I know of ways to run Windows progs in Linux... and pass on that information to those who do want to lose Windows .... esp 10 that seems to be causing so many problems, even after so long since it`s launch...

Both Windows and Linux, have their own "quirks"  "advantages" and "disadvantages"... depending on what your requirements are...  and both are good operating systems.. so it is a 50/50 vote from me... 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Linux is free (you can donate to the developers) and is kept up to date, use Mint 19 myself but I understand there are some Linux distros that take up very little room on a computer, ideal for a old laptop or system with low memory.

Everyone has their own set up, I use Linux when on line and Windows 7 off line, both programs are essential for what I want to do so equal vote for both.

Keep anything important on 2 external HDD but despite years of use never had a HDD fail on me.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles wrote:Keep anything important on 2 external HDD but despite years of use never had a HDD fail on me.

Fatal 😎 I hope you touched many planks of wood when you wrote that 😃

But yes, they are pretty reliable, over the years I've had one nearly fail. It actually got taken out of the netbook way back in 2009 and when I got the system all setup on my return home from the Far East, it got put into a caddy where it was handy for retrieving stuff off of it. It was only binned a couple of months ago. Hammer job!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 129

@7up 

For the record I don't have any Linux machines in the house.

However I have friends with little money who found themselves with old slow single processor  machines that were effectively no longer suitable/capable of running Windows programs. I have successfully brought these back into service with Linux.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,026

We have one windows machine in the house.
Sadly I can't get swmbo to leave it behind..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@dvorak  Count your blessings and stay at home....Roll_eyes

she needs it to go to work as a mobile window cleaner ! !  Cheesy

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 1

I use OSX, Linux and Windows and if the truth be told I don't care much for Windows and is a total pig when it comes to true cross platform development. But I only use it as I have no choice in it as I have to cater for our client base, who are for the moment Windows users, well for now at least, but the tide is changing.

For me, as a software engineer, it's simply down to the fact that Windows isn't as elegant as Linux or OSX. For example; I have a Linux daemon (running on Ubuntu 18.4) that mounts a remote file system on my NAS using CIFS, this mount is also mapped as a shared drive on Windows and where it is written to by a Windows process. The Linux daemon reads this mount point every second to check for new files and any updates to them. When a process completes, the Linux daemon removes the file, however, Windows still thinks that these files exist for some considerable time before it 'realises' that they in fact no longer there!

But if I mount the same volume on my Mac and view it using Finder I see the file disappear instantly from the view as they are deleted by the Linux process.

So what is Windows doing, or not doing, that causes such a noticeable lag on the Windows machine, which can easily be 20 to 30 seconds. This is only one example; but if you really want to get wound up at Windows try writing OS agnostic software!

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@Mook  Life was alot easier when working with IBM DOS on a IBM 360/40!!! 🤣🤣Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:Keep anything important on 2 external HDD but despite years of use never had a HDD fail on me.

Fatal 😎 I hope you touched many planks of wood when you wrote that 😃

But yes, they are pretty reliable, over the years I've had one nearly fail. It actually got taken out of the netbook way back in 2009 and when I got the system all setup on my return home from the Far East, it got put into a caddy where it was handy for retrieving stuff off of it. It was only binned a couple of months ago. Hammer job!

What I should have said is the second HDD has a copy of everything on the first HDD....the chances of 2 HDDs failing at the same time are remote so hopefully will not have to touch any wood.

Highlighted
Pro

@TTman You're showing your age.