cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celebrate anti Piracy day

Community Veteran

Celebrate anti Piracy day

http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=45202
Tuesday is anti piracy day sorry Global Anti-Piracy Day according to MS. Its a funny battle that has raged since computer started the software companies create a form of protection and the pirate crack it in seconds so they create a better system that is again cracked in seconds and so it goes on.
This is the public face of piracy but many companies use it to sell there products including MS. Years ago MS offered NT4 Server on 30 day trial on a magazine within days everyone new if you applied a service pack it made it the full version. Did MS stop it no it had the same offer on in other mags a couple of months later you cant tell me it wasnt intensional.
I know several companies who send out their products to pirates as there is no way some of these people can get the software before its released unless its sent out by the makers.
One company said unofficially the cost of piracy saved them millions. Take 2 companies both with the same product one spends a million on adverts the other spends 50p sending the product out to pirates for free. The pirated software goes world wide in hours and 2 million people download it free.
The thing about pirates is they are great they are very clever cracks, free beta testers the company monitors hacking sites and gets free feedback from pirates who highlight the problems with no comebacks. Of the 2 million pirates a lot will buy the product in the end if its any good, a lot will recommend it to their company and friends.
So compare the cost one spent a million in adverts and one spent 50p the 50p probably had more publicity  value than the million plus the sales they got which is all profit the company who spent money on adverts have to get their million back first.
Strange that Adobe has just produced CS4 range of all its products like photoshop,dreamweaver, fireworks etc and one crack works for every product and its so simple a kid can do it. You cant download the product from Adobes site but pirates have had it for weeks how strange is that
7 REPLIES
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Celebrate anti Piracy day

I am never quite sure how they calculate those losses due to piracy? I guess that the Intellectual Property Analyst assumes that if everyone who copied the product would have otherwise paid the full retail amount for the product. But this is assumes they know exactly how many people made illegal copies and, that those same people could afford the sky high price for the product in the first place.  In an economic sense, Piracy is really a function of supply and demand. But that's a different discussion!
In the case of software, there's tons of free Open Source stuff. Most software vendors give away full functionality trial or free limited feature versions on their web sites and, I am sure that we have installed at least one full product from the cover of Computer Shopper, PC World, Mac World, etc. And even Microsoft gives away its Visual Studio Express family. So is there really a need to pirate?
avalon
Grafter

I was always left wondering how music companys made so little money they had to charge £15 for a CD.  Consider that you can go into your local newsagent and pick up a computer software CD/DVD for £3.99 with free PC magazine atttached. Roll eyes  It has the same manufacturing, distribution, and retailer markup costs to cover.  Plus the cost of producing, marketing, & distrubuting the bulky magazine attached to it.  That just leaves the magazines profit and any royalties due on the cd to come out of the £3.99.
So in theory the music companies have around £11 profit for additional advertising and royalties to the artists.  But they pay the artists peanuts, so that must mean most of that extra £11 goes on advertising. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I always remember one of my first PC's came bundled with Office 97.
However it was the upgrade (retail) version they had given me, not the full edition.
When I installed it, the installer would complain that it couldn't find an existing version of a 'qualifing product', so the installer couldn't continue. But I had the option of providing the installation media for one of these products. Presumably this would allow you to install the upgrade without having to install a previous version of something, if you owned it.
It would give a file browser dialog, and I figured out you could actually browse to the setup.exe on the upgrade CD (so pointing it to itself!) and it was quite happy to continue.
Sometimes, who needs cracks. Grin
timlake
Grafter

Does this mean we all have to sail the seven seas today and takle those troublesome buckaneers?
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Indeed it does, timlake, and on no account must one talk like a pirate.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes Alex, I think most MS software will "let" you do this. like you I've done this with most versions of Office that I've used...(but no longer)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
I am never quite sure how they calculate those losses due to piracy? I

They stick a damp finger in the wind.
If MS charged more reasonsble proces then people would be happy to pay but over 500 quid for an office package?
Mind you suppose they aren't as bad as Autodesk who charge nearly a grand for AutoCAD.