Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceefax: A love letter

Steve
Pro

Ceefax: A love letter

Can be found here
Millions lose Ceefax With the latest switch-off, only a handful of places in the UK still have Ceefax. In a personal view, long-term addict Matthew Engel mourns its demise.

Click on the right arrow to read the next page
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Ceefax: A love letter

I used to make use of Ceefax and Oracle quite a lot in the past but with the spread of the internet it;s uses have declined.
I did also make use of it on my BBC Model B computer but that's another story.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

In 1973, Oracle (Teletext) was being tested prior to full transmissions, and there was a Teletext decoder box under a TV in the Thames TV Teddington reception, where you could dial up pages using rotary thumbwheels for the page numbers.
Fixes: 47

I remember walking into the Science Museum in London around that time and seeing a large screen (for that time) with something they described as teletext on display.
I had never heard of teletext before until that moment.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

I used to use Ceefax quite a bit before I even dreamt of getting BB, I used to love being able to pull In loads of Info right there on my TV screen, Was good for time keeping too and I quite enjoyed using the 'mixed' button Smiley Shame to see It go really but onwards and upwards eh!
thejudge
Grafter

Teletext was virtually the only thing I used my TV for in the last year or so before I junked it (November '06). I used to check up on the news whilst I was having my breakfast, again when I got home, and one more time before going to bed.
It was also amusing sometimes when the signal became poor and the wrong characters were displayed. I remember one weather page warning me of "Showers of sleet and snot"!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes takes me back too. I used to use Teletext a lot before the ITV franchise changeover of 1993.
Oracle lost their license to a company called Teletext (Can you imagine the boardroom meeting when they were thinking up of that name? Must have been intense).
I never liked Teletext (the company not the technology) as much as Oracle for some reason. The irony was that there was never going to be a 'Channel 3' Teletext license, but Oracle campaigned so there was one. But then they lost it anyway. The government obviously realised there was no reason not to have one, and having one would generate more revenue for them so funnily enough they changed their mind. Funny how times haven't changed.
1993 was the beginning of the end of ITV. We lost Thames and introduced Carlton which eventually merged with Granada and all of the other regions in England and Wales to form ITV PLC (spit).
Nowadays it's all Big Brother, reality TV and any other show that is as cheap as possible to produce, with the highest viewing figures (=advertising revenue), and the highest revenue it can make back on a 090 number Cry