Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caught out... again

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Caught out... again

Pottering about in my shed as I've decided to modify my barrel shaped BBQ into a 'smoker' but before going any further with it, I would need to fit a thermometer first to see how it heats up - no point in making more holes for vents until I know they are going to be needed and then how it can then be adjusted.

Anyway and as you do, I ordered one via Amazon yesterday and sat back for it to be delivered today - as they do.

Email this morning telling me it has been dispatched and 'will arrrive between Friday, September 6 - Monday, September 16'. So no guessing what side of the world it is coming from, and no guessing that I'll not be smoking anything Texas style anytime soon!

Caught out again. Sad

18 REPLIES 18
Minesapint
Pro

Re: Caught out... again

Yes, I've had that happen a time or two. Forgot to check the date. Embarrassed

Sometimes I deliberately order stuff that way. It's so cheap for stuff that's not "time sensitive" it's daft to pay more.

Sometimes I deliberately order the "UK stock" ones with about a week's turnover, that miraculously come from China.

Most recent buy was nearly 1300 assorted resistors. I occasionally want one for something, and wanted a particular value for something "now" and paying under five quid for a bunch of them made more sense than paying over a quid for a few. 

Job's still on the bench. . . 

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman Looks like you will have something to look forward to next summer!!!!! Drinks by the smoker on th patioWinkCheesyThumbs Up

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well smokers seem to be very popular these days but on mulling it over and realising the type I already had...

Roll on next summer. Thumbs Up

It was one of these by the way, but is it rubbish? Only one way to find out!

51q+KBDuGjL._SY90_.jpg

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I ordered an electric wood planer from Amazon, delivery 23rd August. Arrived the next day! I was caught out too as I'd geared everything for this week.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran

I added a thermometer to the lid of my Weber kettle BBQ a couple years back, cheapie off ebay (and came from china too, eventually), works fine, really helps with using the thing like an oven... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Good to hear, fingers crossed the one I've ordered is OK.

wotsup
Champion

wotsup
Champion

@twocvbloke wrote:

I added a thermometer to the lid of my Weber kettle BBQ a couple years back, cheapie off ebay (and came from china too, eventually), works fine, really helps with using the thing like an oven... Smiley

Our Weber Kettle came with a thermometer included,  pretty old now and the wooden handle on lid has seen better days.

Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

Our Weber Kettle came with a thermometer included,  pretty old now and the wooden handle on lid has seen better days.

Mine's a lower-budget Weber Compact 47, akin to the cheapo argos specials, but built to last rather than rust, but lacked a thermometer, but a few quid on the 'bay and a cone-drill bit and it was easily added, would like to have a larger Weber model for some low & slow hot-smoked meaty goodness, but, the one I have does me fine for now for my outdoor culinary exploits... Smiley

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke Stick with what youve got... Meat will be banned soon so no more meaty treats...save youre money!!!!Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

No more meat? Pfft, over my dead meaty body... Funny

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@TTman 

"Meat will be banned soon... "

Not in my lifetime, thankfully. Wink

Community Veteran

Careful what you say. Aliens from the Vega planetary system may be monitoring this forum.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minesapint
Pro

Read something the other day, went something like "If we shouldn't eat animals then why are they made out of food?"

I think I'll have a bacon sarnie. . .