cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch 22 is 50 years old

randpwar
Grafter

Catch 22 is 50 years old

I’ve seen a few articles recently stating that my favourite novel is 50 years old. I first read it about 25 years ago and have re-read it about every 4 years since…just can’t stop myself!  There are many priceless characters and situations, Milo MinederbInder the Quarter Master wanting to increase his profit by taking Governments out of war and allowing private enterprise to run them, Yossarian trying to get out of the war by mimicking another soldier saying he sees everything twice….until the other one dies, and also very poignant and emotional situations, Nately’s death where Yossarian could only say ‘there, there’
I saw in one article that Heller was asked why he hadn’t written a novel as good as this since, his answer was ‘No-one has’
Give it a go if you've never read it, I'm sure you wont be disappointed
5 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Catch 22 is 50 years old

or was it a work of plagiarism?
randpwar
Grafter

Oh that’s right, just like Shakespeare’s plays were written by the Earl of Oxford  Smiley. And man has never walked on the Moon, the WTC attack was an inside job and just don’t get me started on Area 51.  Wink
No, I don’t believe that Catch 22 was plagiarised. I recall a court case a while ago so I assume that as you’ve asked the question that you have your doubts and think Heller may have used a lot of ‘The sky is a lonely place’ (think it was called this). May I ask why you doubt the authenticity?  
itsme
Grafter

Face of a Hero by Louis Falstein
Just trying to offer an explanation why Heller did not write any other good novels.
randpwar
Grafter

I think 'The sky...' was the name that the book was released under in England. My opinion only, of course, but Heller did indeed write other very good novels, Good as Gold is a particular favourite and worth a read if you’ve not already done so.  The point I was trying to make is that (IMHO) Catch 22 was a very special one-off that I don’t expect anyone to better; but anyway, as I keep saying, this is just my very humble opinion. I’d like to know how many other posters have read it and what their favourite novel is
itsme
Grafter

Never read it as the film bored me to tears, but may read both Catch 22 and Face of a hero.