cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataracts

Community Veteran

Cataracts

Looks like I may have to have a cataract operation.  I'm told it is a very simple op.  Has anyone had this done?
29 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Cataracts

My dad, at age around 85, had both his eyes done - I think there was a gap of several months between each eye. This was around 6/7 years ago.
If I remember correctly it was done relatively quickly requiring a visit to the hospital but home within a couple of hours. Subsequently he required drops being administered to each eye twice a day but he always maintained that it was a most worthwhile operation.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kdoug007
Grafter

mav  this  may  sound  daft,, but im  serious..
it  may be  a  straightforward op,,  but NOt  if  one has  1  eye!!!!
Community Veteran

If you only have one eye and the cataract needs doing surely it's even more important or you will eventually go blind Undecided
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Looks like I may have to have a cataract operation.  I'm told it is a very simple op.  Has anyone had this done?

I had the operation to both eyes several years back, it's literally a thirty minute job, done under a local anaesthetic, and absolutely painless. Even though the operation is carried on on the one eye, you'll be amazed to realise afterwards how poor your vision had become.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mum had one eye done at 85, was the only one I've ever heard of that was not a success. But this was more than likely due to her refusal to keep up with the after care. When the other eye was scheduled to be done Mum refused to go through with it, said she preferred the misty opaque world she lived in.
All rather sad really. No fault attached to the NHS.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I think I might book in to have it done in the next few weeks so I am back to normal before my holiday.
kdoug007
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
If you only have one eye and the cataract needs doing surely it's even more important or you will eventually go blind Undecided

I agree  with what you  say...  however  like  every  surgery  , there is a  risk..
  and  with 1  eye...  the  risk even small    is  huge!!!
Community Veteran

I phoned the surgeon's secretary this morning and I'm going in for the op on 31st July.
Fixes: 125

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the results it gives. My dad sure was and his was made slightly more complicated by the fact he also had glaucoma.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

James
Grafter

Good luck Artmo.  I'm sure everything will be fine.
tinto
Grafter

Good luck, prepare to be amaaaaaaazed!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Best of luck Artmo, perhaps your tennis will improve once you can see better.  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I don't know about that - at my age it's good to just make it onto the court Grin  I want it all complete for my regular trip to Florida coming up soon.  Will be visiting friends who work at Jim Courier's club so might get the big man to test the eye for me Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Good Luck artmo, although with the level of expertise these days with this sort of op "luck" hardly comes into it. Sure you won't be sorry.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.