cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalonia is Independent

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Catalonia is Independent

I've just seen on Al Jazeera that the Catalonian Gov't have declared independence.

Now on BBC too.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
16 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 10

Re: Catalonia is Independent

It'll be interesting to see how the EU deal with this if Spain send in the armed forces.

Jono H
 Plusnet Help Team
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

The Catalan government said that of the 43% of potential voters who took part in the referendum, 90% were in favour of independence. But Spain's Constitutional Court had ruled the vote illegal. ?

So its a Illegal vote , so what happens next Civil war ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

newagetraveller
Rising Star

No doubt Spain could send in the heavies to impose their will at the request of the non democratically elected EU dictatorship?

Community Veteran

and the expected response http://news.sky.com/story/live-madrid-set-to-rescind-catalan-autonomy-11100121

Spain's top prosecutor will seek rebellion charges for Catalan President Carles Puigdemont and members of his cabinet, Associated Press reports.

Under Spanish claw, rebellion can be punished with up to 25 years in prison, with shorter term penalties if the act of rebellion doesn't lead to violence.

Champnet
Rising Star

Hope this doesn’t give the SNP any ideas.....

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 10

Champnet wrote:

Well the SNP would be doing it after losing a referendum and as such would be going against the democratic will of the people.

The problem here is that the Catalonia government ran a referendum and got an overwhelming yes to the question of independence although some sources do suggest that this is because those against didn't want to legitimise a vote that was deemed illegal by Spain.   

Jono H
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve
Pro

Champnet wrote:

No, we will win at the box. But if we were to win the vote and the Gov went against us then you should prob expect rioting in the streets.

Community Veteran

If you win in the vote then the English would probably support you

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

ITN said that the UK government, as well as the EU of course, backed Spain.  Would it not be better for the UK government to keep quiet; I see no need for them to comment (other than to say, if asked, that they are "concerned" by the situation).  Although diplomacy is probably not second nature to our foreign secretary.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Jonpe wrote:

ITN said that the UK government, as well as the EU of course, backed Spain.

And of course, what the government think is not representative of the people, I for one think it's great that Catalonia is declaring independence, it's proof that a one-for-all system doesn't work, hence a lot of countries splitting up or wanting to split up to go it alone in their own way... Smiley

Community Veteran

The UK and EU have both said they will not recognise the Catalan government. It seems difficult to think of any country that will do so.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

The Spanish government wants fresh elections in Catalonia in December.  What happens if the Catalans vote the same people back into power (it was reported this morning that Mr Puigdemont would be allowed to stand)?

Belgium seems to be trying to help Spain by suggesting that Mr Puigdemont might like to apply for asylum in Belgium.

Community Veteran

Judging by the turnout at today's unity march I can't see Catalans winning a vote for independence.

Part of Catalonia's grievance is that they pay more to Madrid than they get back. According to today's Sunday Times 1700 firms have already left the region and relocated elsewhere. My Spanish bank has already moved its headquarters to Alicante.