cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat behavior

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Cat behavior

I realise that not everybody likes cats, for different reasons. But we do, we have this gorgeous Abyssinian (Amber point) female that adores human company and is terribly spoilt by us, to us shes a moggy pet. She's about ten years old, and the worlds greatest mouser (and the occasional bird as well unfortunately, the spectacle of her trying to drag a fully grown Wood Pigeon through her cat flap one day was worth watching -she failed-)  not her most endearing quality. She detests other cats (an Abyssinian trait apparently) and guards "her" home like a demented guard dog. However, she takes absolutely no notice of the squads of squirrels that are parading on the trees and fences around us. Now, I don't like squirrels, I like to watch their acrobatics from a distance, but they are vermin and disease and flea carriers.
But why does my cat ignore them, when she will go for anything else that moves.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
58 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: Cat behavior

I hope you are referring to Greys - "bushy tailed rats" - Nothing wrong with Reds, but haven't seen one of them for a few years, the last one I was anywhere near came up to me and fed from my hand.
N/A

Picture please Petlew? Never seen this sort of cat. My terriers are avid squirrel hunters and when we walk in the woods it is such a shame that they can never catch one!  Sad
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
But why does my cat ignore them, when she will go for anything else that moves.   

Mysterious creatures, cats. We have one who, in his day, caught mice, voles, shrews, rabbits etc, but wouldn't turn a hair if a bird landed near - just didn't want to know.
Another one we have is worth her weight in gold - she catches moles! At this time of year I used to have dozens of molehills to clear before the mowing season, but not now.  Cool
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

N/A

4Candles - do you want to hire your cat out? I get fed up with moles migrating in from the neighbouring field - has cost me a fair bit  to get rid of the pests. The terriers would no doubt like to have a go but they would dig my garden up in the process.
jmd
Grafter

My Cairn Terror is not bothered by cats [so far] but likes to chase rabbit,  pigeons, blackbirds,  ducks and squirrels!  She also liked to investigate mole hills but does not seem to bother now - I think she just reckons they are part of scenery!
I read on the USA Cairn Forum that I go on of  dogs that catch and eat  squirrels, rabbits and some birds - mind you they have such big "yards" I supposed they get various wildlife.
Holly  gets very upset when a squirel goes up the tree and goes round other side to look for it!  I get breathless because she has towed me across the grass as she pursues them at the end of her lead!
The Cat probably has more selection in her choice of wild life diet!  Squirrels probably run too fast for her too!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: poppy
4Candles - do you want to hire your cat out?
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
Picture please Petlew?

pierre's pic's are nearly right for our's. Our's (Mitzy) has smaller ears, it may be a distortion in the pic but none that I've seen have ears that big. They have a curious coloured coat, in the states they are called "bunny cats" because of their rabbit like coat. A book I have suggests that even dyed-in-the-wool cat haters like these, as they are so friendly to humans.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
I hope you are referring to Greys - "bushy tailed rats" - Nothing wrong with Reds

Indeed I am, you won't see many "reds" most in this country are located in Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour, although there are a couple of other "pockets" of them scattered around, I think in Scotland mostly.

jmd
Grafter

I think Abyssinians are beautiful cats Petlew - a colleague of mine had 2 plus a Burnese.  She used to take the three out for walks on leads like dogs!  And when she went out in car they went too - draped over back seat and they acted as security guards!  The Burmese was not as friendly as the other 2 though.
Community Veteran

@jmdlp, yes, again in certain states in the USA "Abs" are very popular as they are one of the few varieties that will take to moderate training -most cats don't- and if brought up to it at the kitten stage will happily walk on a lead (ours doesn't, but then we've never trained her to) To return to the States, in some parts of California cats are only allowed out on a lead and, its a common sight to see this...bet you know a cat lives there as soon as you open the front door though!!
Mrs petlew is convinced Mitzy was a dog in a former life, such is her desire to please us.
Compared to pierre's pic's, Mitzy is quite dark overall still in her winter coat, which she is moulting at speed now, but maintains the very tabby face and the characteristic black spine markings and black paws, she will look very like the lower of the two pic's (but with more normal cat length ears I suspect the upper pic is in fact a shot of a show cat bred to have ears that long) As cats go she is also quite small, I've often wondered if she might have been a litter runt, but our vet says no.
PS. I will see if I have a pic of her.

Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
I think Abyssinians are beautiful cats Petlew - a colleague of mine had 2 plus a Burnese. 

Were they brought up together, as "Abs" will not usually tolerate other cats, they may get on with a sibling if kept together. Mitzy had a brother (a blue point) but the person we got her from (for free, as they were moving home) didn't want to part with the male, otherwise we would have had both.

jmd
Grafter

Not sure if brought up together or not  can't remember now [retired 2 yrs ago!]-  the Abs were brother and sister but think she already had the Burmese when she acquired the kittens.  I just rember her bringing in photos of them quite often [she was a cataholic] and telling us about the things she bought them [she and husband did not have human children]. 
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

My cat is absolutely tiny and I remember the day i got home from work to find a wood pigeon lying at the patio door as she obviosuly couldnt get it through the cat flap. No joke the pigeon was almost as big as her!
The thing thats buggin me just now is waking up at 3-4am with what can only be classed as an 'Animal Faceoff' through the cat flap! So annoying!