cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashplus Mastercard

Fixes: 124

Cashplus Mastercard

I have been looking at different pre-paid cards to give to my mother to help reduce the risk of her overspending/being taken advantage of.
Many come with various fees for transactions, ATM withdrawals, etc but the Cashplus Mastercard has an offer through Money Supermarket that has no fees - even the card fee is refunded if activated within 30 days.
None of the other benefits are necessary but I do need to keep any costs to a minimum so this seems ideal. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of using such a card?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cashplus Mastercard

Just a thought - would your bank not issue a debit card for your mother? If she tried to 'overspend' it wouldn't let her.

She has a debit card but her account has an overdraft facility.
Mum has now been assessed as not having capacity to deal with her finances so I am looking at ways to give her as much freedom to spend without others being able to abuse her.
I will discuss further with Social Services but just wanted as much info as possible on these cards and their use.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Is it not possible to remove the overdraft limit or have it reduced to only a few ££s?

I haven't been able to do that up to now as mum was often withdrawing money from that account as well as her savings meaning that, without an overdraft, DDs and SOs would have bounced causing extra charges and hassle unless I noticed in time to transfer some funds from another of her accounts.
I'm looking at all options in conjunction with Social Services so that mum doesn't feel too restricted.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

some yanks I know don't go anywhere without pre pay cards, we don't seem to have the same choices over here (they can go into any bank and just purchase a card pre loaded with a fixed credit amount)
fee free and reusable would be the best way to go, and if it runs out of cash she cant spend it, reducing her retinue of cards to one will make it easier for her day to day in terms of remembering the details and if she should loose it or be tricked into giving it away only a tiny amount is lost (depending on the amount you pre pay by)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I have a PayPal version of the card, to be honest I rarely use it (I think it's de-activated itself now too), but to get one of those you had to be invited to take up their offer of the card, but some managed to bypass that cos they got the link to the invite back when it first started...
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/accesscard
(Click the "How it works" and there's button that says "Get Yours", only works if you have a paypal account that you've used to sell things with I believe)
Community Veteran

I used Cashplus prepaid and gave my son a card for the account while he was in University. Easy to top up and you could "limit the damage" when he lost track of his spending. Safer than cash.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

This offer looks attractive. Too good to be true?
"Free to use in the UK - limited time offer - now extended to 4th March 2015 (this offer is only available through MoneySuperMarket.com)"
Does this mean that the card will not be issued to new customers after the deadline or that after 4th March 2015 it may cease to be "Free to use in the UK"?
Charges seem very out of line with the costs of other Cashplus cards.
http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/products/uk-prepaid-cards/pricing.aspx
I have an Orange Cash card that cost me £5 and is free to top up by bank transfer and has no monthly fee and no charge for UK purchases. When I spend it earns me points that I use to pay for calls and texts on my Orange PAYG mobile phone. However, it does have charges for other services that the Cashplus Card on offer does not.

I rang CashPlus to discuss how sorting a card using Power of Attorney would work (found a landline number on Saynoto0870). It's a little convoluted but can be done apparently. It was suggested I go through the registration process entering my mother's details without actually completing the process at the end to see what documents may be needed as the agent wasn't too sure in this instance.
Got as far as the page requesting a security code and selecting Payment Type and, decided, at that point not to proceed as I didn't want to give those details just yet. The only buttons to click to proceed up to this point were either Back or Next - no Done, Finished, Register, Apply, etc. Imagine my surprise when I received an email a few minutes later thanking me for registration and that my application had been accepted Shocked
The email was marked [-SPAM-] which also seems a little odd Undecided