cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashless society

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cashless society

In Sweden only 3% of transactions are cash based. They are looking to eliminate cash.
What a scary world that would be, where the government and banks would gain the ability to control every transaction.  No doubt the banks would love to be able to get a share of every transaction.

Edit: correcting error about "cashless"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Cashless society

Only time I need cash in my hand is for bus fares, everything else is chip+pin or online.  Even bus fares, if say I want a week or a month ticket I can get those online as well.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Why scary Undecided  I use cashless payments for small items and it presents no problem and saves me the bother of carrying small change.  Simply scan your card at the cashdesk and your account is debited without problem.
Fixes: 121

I've lived in a cashless society for a long time...

SWMBO has it all Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
Only time I need cash in my hand is for bus fares,

In most Northern European countries, it's common for the bus driver to take debit or credit cards, in fact it is encouraged. As is using cards for parking charges.
Community Veteran

I'm off on holiday this week to the ultimate cashless society, America where cash is almost an inconvenience Smiley

Quite different where I am at the moment.
Using the bus from where we're staying going into Dnipropetrovsk city centre notes are usually handed to the driver as you get on and loose change is left on the top of his dashboard which passengers simply pick from. The driver doesn't appear to watch what's being taken, though.
During busy times everyone gets on and cash is passed from passenger to passenger from the back to the driver with change going back via the same chain. Bit embarrassing when they give the money to me to pass on as I don't always understand where they're going or how many they're paying for Huh
All this seems to happen while the driver merrily chats away on his mobile - even when moving!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

That bus experience reminds me of the system of hand signals used between drivers of mini-buses and passengers awaiting pickup in Soweto to Johannesburg. They don't have signs on the front of the mini-buses to announce their destination. I still can't understand it, but that system is still cash payment!
In the world which is coming most devices including smart cards (bus passes and payment cards) will gain an IPV6 IP address. The companies and government will be able to track your every move. It is already close to that with the Oyster Card in London where the use of the card can be tied into the transport CCTV system. It's said someone commuting to work in the centre of London will be recorded on 200 CCTV cameras, I think that is an underestimate nowadays. Your mobile phone, if switched on,  can also be tied into the CCTV cameras so your face can be tied to these devices. Similarly your mobile phone can be tied to your car's Vehicle Registration Mark. The police routinely record the registration marks of vehicles travelling on motorways and key "pinch points" I've been to counter-terrorist exhibitions and have seen this technology on show.
If cash transactions become abolished you'd have no alternative means to survive in towns and cities. The pressure to use these systems are becoming intense - Google Wallet already existsand Apple are about to launch a wallet system tied to their iPhone.The smartphones already provide GPS tracking.
It is quite feasible in a cashless society for the authorities to issue an ASBO controlling the type of purchases that you are allowed to make.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

It could be worse. In this film time is the only currency.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

A very good film, too.

Community Veteran

Yes it was a good film. I enjoyed it. Certainly an interesting concept.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I'm off on holiday this week to the ultimate cashless society

Have a good trip Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
In Sweden only 3% of transactions are cashless.

The report that is linked says "only three per cent of all financial transactions in the country are made using cash these days". So that's 97% of transactions cashless.
David_W
Rising Star

Sometimes being cashless is a pain.  I wanted to buy £30 worth of PSN access to get PlayStation Plus which is where the fun beings.  Trying to add funds on my PS Vita and it throws up an error, can't do it.  Try it on my PS3 and again, an error, so can't buy stuff via my PSV or PS3.  Go to the Sony website to try and buy funds and it rejects my card details as incorrect (they are not incorrect) so can't do it.  Try with my Visa debit card, no joy, my Visa credit card, no joy, my other Visa credit card, no joy, my Mastercard, no joy.  I cannot for the life of me go Cashless with Sony and the PSN.  (in the end I bought a £35 card for £32 so Sony lost out).
If we go cashless we become reliant on services which have requirements, electricity, telephone, a fair few ways where a glitch could take down cashless.  When you go to the cash machine and it's out of order it really isn't a problem, you can go to another cash machine and get cash, but if you're running for the last bus or wanting to watch the last showing of a film in the cinema or at the super market which is about to shut down and the system is down, you'll miss the bus or the movie or won't be able to buy your shopping.  So there will always be a requirement for cash, at least for in case of emergencies.
Saying that, there are amazing things you can do with a phone using your telco as your "bank", put your phone near a drinks machine, press which drink you want, your phone asks you to authorise the transaction, you do and you get your drink which gets added to your phone bill, same for train/bus tickets which then use your phone as a ticket letting you board, you won't even need a signal as your phone could have a £10 or £20 credit limit so if you want to buy something without a signal it gets removed from your credit and when you get a signal it gets paid, topping up your credit.
I still can't ever see a world where you could survive without cash, but a good mix of cash and cashless is pretty nifty.
Community Veteran

Just back from Cafe Nero where I paid the bill simply by passing my card over a terminal.  Much more convenient than a pocketful of heavy coins.