cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashless Society

Fixes: 47

Cashless Society

There was a guy on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about the cashless society we are heading for.
Shops are starting to refuse cheques and an alternative for coins is available for small purchases.
The gentleman said that eventually all transactions would be done by mobile phone.
The question was asked 'what if you lose your phone?' to which the reply came 'you would phone your bank'.
You've just lost your phone so presumably you would use a public BT phone which BT are doing their best to eradicate on the basis that everyone will have a mobile Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
60 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Cashless Society

Think the only way that would work if you had something like the Blackberry card reader http://na.blackberry.com/eng/ataglance/security/products/smartcardreader/ on your person which was well hidden which was linked to the phone via bluetooth, if it were to go out of range it would automatically disable and report itself as stolen.
Personally I'm not convinced by this solution either and I doubt the banks would want responsibility and would be bothered to invest in the necessary kit.
Community Veteran

Many years ago there was a town in France where everything was cashless.  You had a card which you topped up and then used it around all the shops.  It seemed to work but don't know if it is still happening.
Edit: Just found an interesting article on it:
http://news.cnet.com/French-road-test-cashless-technology/2100-1039_3-6063105.html
techguy
Grafter

NFC is the tech built into SIM cards and phone circuit boards which is what Strat is referring to I think, at the moment it would only be used for small payments up to say £10, a little like Visa Paywave and Mastercard Paypass (same thing built into credit/debit cards).
Some years ago there was a trial in Swindon for a system called Mondex which was a smart card you topped up at a terminal such as a payphone and you then used the stored value as if it were cash, think it flopped though.
Preaid debit cards now exist but you are charged when loading them plus a yearly fee (frankly a rip off IMO)
I had one so that I could carry it instead of cash as I don't generally take my debit card because of all the cash point fraud but ended up getting rid when I worked out how much it was actually costing me.
Community Veteran

I'd forgotten Mondex.  It's now owned by mastercard but don't know if it's still used in Swindon.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: techguy
NFC is the tech built into SIM cards and phone circuit boards which is what Strat is referring to

Yes that's it. You would simply swipe your phone for small transactions or swipe and PIN for larger purchases.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

how do you cater for those without mobile phones?
Community Veteran

You mean like the paperless society that was predicted !!!  Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
how do you cater for those without mobile phones?

I suppose you might be classed as economically inactive.
barky
Grafter

very rarely do I use cash these days - unless its a small purchase, fish & chips etc.
everything else goes on debit or (sparingly) credit cards
never paid for anything via mobile phone as yet - nor have I had an opportunity to do so
techguy
Grafter

Cards are much easier and more secure so I do use when I can.
Not really keen on the idea of NFC as mobiles are already high on the thieves list so why add something to them that makes them more desirable but of course the idea here is that your purchases get billed to your mobile phone account and the operators are forever talking about how their Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) is decreasing so this will be another service charge they can driaw.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There are also trials taking place with m-tickets for travel on certain buses and trains. One buys a ticket using a mobile phone and then the ticket is then sent as a message to the phone. One then presents the mobile phone screen display to the ticket reader / inspector. The ticket consists of a set of dots.
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/content.aspx?id=820
So you turn up at the station ready to board your train and find that the battery is flat leaving you stranded. Accidentally deleting the message could be expensive. This is progress?
Community Veteran

London introduced the Oyster card some years ago.  Top it up and then just swipe it as you travel.  It's also a lot cheaper to use than paying cash.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
There are also trials taking place with m-tickets for travel on certain buses and trains. One buys a ticket using a mobile phone and then the ticket is then sent as a message to the phone. One then presents the mobile phone screen display to the ticket reader / inspector. The ticket consists of a set of dots.
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/content.aspx?id=820
So you turn up at the station ready to board your train and find that the battery is flat leaving you stranded. Accidentally deleting the message could be expensive. This is progress?

No doubt an attempt to stop the trainee oiks kids from fare dodging
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Quote from: alanf

No doubt an attempt to stop the trainee oiks kids from fare dodging

Doesn't work on the bendy buses.  They just get on via the rear doors for free.