cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cars left at the owners risk

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cars left at the owners risk

I pity the owners in this situation. Their cars were crushed in a flood in a car park, but didn't suffer water damage. Who's to blame?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cars left at the owners risk

The owner of the car park. By inviting the public to use it they automatically shoulder a duty of care to the public. They will have public liability insurance to cover it. The way the building was constructed must have passed building approval so the owner doesn't have any liability on that score. The insurance company may, however, wish to recover their costs from whoever approved the structure if it can be proved that they were negligent.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

possibly classed as a accident, so no one is to blame, insurance companies will pay out and if they think someone is to blame will take action against them, in which case their companies insurance will pay out.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

does that mean - assuming that you are correct - they will have their no claims record wrecked

Community Veteran

Their motor insurance will not cover it because it occurred off the highway in a private place. The owner of the car park is liable as I said above. Therefore nobody loses their no claims.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Now I'm no builder, structural engineer, or architect, but, even I know that polystyrene blocks are not building materials, yes they're useful for putting in cavity walls as insulation, but nothing structural, nor as a foundation, especially if they haven't interlocked them properly and basically made a load of pontoons... Crazy3

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What a crushing experience..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Now I'm no builder, structural engineer, or architect, but, even I know that polystyrene blocks are not building materials, yes they're useful for putting in cavity walls as insulation, but nothing structural, nor as a foundation, especially if they haven't interlocked them properly and basically made a load of pontoons... Crazy3

Network Rail use polystyrene formers to build large bridge approaches and embankments. All it does is hold ballast that does the load carrying. In this case I would suggest that a flood was never considered as a risk and not taken into account.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

nozzer wrote:

Their motor insurance will not cover it because it occurred off the highway in a private place. The owner of the car park is liable as I said above. Therefore nobody loses their no claims.

That's an interesting statement, always though that you were covered no matter where you were.

I do not recall any exclusions like that in my policy document.

Please note I am not saying you are wrong but do others agree with what you say ?

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I may be wrong but I don't think that the report is accurate

Polystyrene doesn't expand when submerged (think of where it is used as a buoyancy aid in boats)

What almost certainly happened is that it floated upwards on the water and you see the result

What I don't understand is why there was that thickness of polystyrene under that small section of the floor in the first place

This shows the results much better http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/crayford-flooding-cars-crushed-as-burst-water-main-causes-delu...

Fixes: 123

gleneagles wrote:
nozzer wrote:

That's an interesting statement, always though that you were covered no matter where you were.

I do not recall any exclusions like that in my policy document.

Please note I am not saying you are wrong but do others agree with what you say ?

Having worked in car claims with Saga we dealt with many incidents in private car parks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was just going to say the no claims payout in a private place seemed a bit odd to me.

Sure if it happens on your own drive / property I could understand it but when you're out and about is a different scenario.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

As far as I am aware you are still covered when the car is on your own property as accidents happen.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

If your house burnt down and took your car with it your motor insurance wouldn't pay out but your household policy would. Bumps between drivers in private car parks are covered because they are a specified risk and therefore you pay for it. Bumps between cars and the car park ceiling is not a specified risk!

@Oldjim...  That depth of polystyrene probably wasn't necessary but just think of the concrete they have saved!!!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That's really not that far from me, my sister told me about it and it looks bad. She's got no water, and I'd better check I have when I get home.