cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carpet problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Carpet problem

Got a fitted hallway carpet that has developed a couple of small ridges.....

Have tackled many jobs in the past but no nowt about carpets..

Easiest way was to get someone in to do it.....but not so easy.

Contacted a couple of small carpet shops.....if we didn't supply it we can't help you.

Contacted a couple of bigger firms who provided carpet fitters phone numbers.....usual stuff... leave a message and we will get back to you....except they don't.....likely think there is little money in such a job.

So I am stuck for once.....anyone know anything about carpets ?

12 REPLIES 12
Minesapint
Pro

Re: Carpet problem

I'd not claim to be any sort of expert, but what sort of carpet is it? 

Is it hessian back or foam back?

Hessian you need to leift the edge off the "strechers" and restretch it to get the creases out. You really need the "knee kicker" tool they use to do it properly, and you don't go too mad.

Foam is usually fixed down with spray glue at the edges, so you need to unglue, get the creases out, and reglue.

It's a bit of a black art though TBH.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

What have you got underneath the carpet ?    If it`s underlay, it`s probably been "creeping" with the movement of the carpet on top ( back and forth as you walk )... Reckon the only way would be to rip it up.... and relay the underlay, or better still,... if it`s floor boards...you could either sand them and varnish them... or you could lay some very nice wood type flooring. or even , if your budget will stand it , some very very posh tile, that look like wooden floor... even come in long lengths, to lay like wooden floor..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1050&bih=609&ei=l72cXfP8H8GkaaTUjsgL&q=...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Minesapint 

Ditto. :smiley:

Community Veteran

Carpet has underfelt and is on a hard floor.

The carpet is in good condition so it seems foolish to replace it.....looking at the cost of carpets these days it's the last thing I want to do.

You can buy those kicker things needed to stretch carpets but the worry is if I made a bodge of it then it would be a new carpet, something I want to avoid at all costs.

Fortunately it's not a urgent job and perhaps it's just me but as I get older some of these very minor things seem to bug me more than years ago, perhaps it's something to do with being less busy as I get older.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Why not get in touch with a local carpet fitter and perhaps one who could do the job 'on the side'.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

There are no Carpet fitters listed in the local phone directory, as I said in my first post smaller shops seem to sell and fit carpets themselves, the bigger suppliers contract the job out to carpet fitters and whilst they have been good enough to provide me with the phone numbers it's a message service and no one gets back to me......

I am in the process of checking out if any of our friends or relatives know of anyone who is in the carpet trade or knows someone who knows someone......

We often get a little free booklet containing trades people in the area and even a company that finds trades people but guess what....no carpet fitters.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

You can often find such things on a local 'buy/sell/wanted' facebook group.

Might be worth a try, and even if you do not use fb yourself I'm sure somebody you know does. 

Hope you get it sorted. :smiley:

Minesapint
Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

Carpet has underfelt and is on a hard floor.

The carpet is in good condition so it seems foolish to replace it.....looking at the cost of carpets these days it's the last thing I want to do.

You can buy those kicker things needed to stretch carpets but the worry is if I made a bodge of it then it would be a new carpet, something I want to avoid at all costs.

Fortunately it's not a urgent job and perhaps it's just me but as I get older some of these very minor things seem to bug me more than years ago, perhaps it's something to do with being less busy as I get older.

I was a domestic sparky for a while, so I've taken up and put back carpet a number of times. If it's just a bit, you can sort of hold the edge up, and "kick" it with your knee anyway. I've been back to places later and the carpets been all right, and at least in one case, managed to take a bit of creasing out while doing it, having pointed out creasing to the owner before doing anything. It's not that difficult really. I wouldn't want to take a whole carpet up and try to refit it though. That's another matter. 

As Minivanman says, hope you get it sorted. These "little" jobs can be a right pain to get sorted. 

Highlighted
VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

How about using a piece of wood with some nails sticking out as a make-do kicker?

You could use a hammer for the kicking, to avoid damage to your knee. :cheesy:

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

Success.....job done.!

Not by me though a proper carpet fitter, took him about 15 minutes, as he stretched the carpet he needed to cut the ' extra bit' where the door strips are.....so glad I did not attempt it.

Amazing what networking does, friend of my daughter gets carpets from the same shop, passed on my details and job was done yesterday.....very reasonable price.

Next task is to get the carpet cleaned, possible to hire carpet cleaning machine for a day but will get an estimate from a local firm that do the job.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but carpets have been known to shrink when drying after being excessively wet during cleaning.

Hopefully the cutting off of the excess won't leave you short!

Community Veteran

@RobPN 

Thats why I thought it best to get a professional job done when it comes to cleaning, if it caused any shrinkage problems that would be down to them to sort out .....I think some of these proper carpet cleaning firms use machines that apply heat at the same time as washing so carpet is not left wet.

As for leaving me short, well I have nearly been caught short a couple of times but that's an entirly different subject !

:wink: