cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carnival queens

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Carnival queens

What has happened to the age of carnival queens these days. Just had our local news magazine delivered that included news of the annual carnival in June, also included is the finalist line-up for the carnival queen.
Lovely girls all nine of them, however, the oldest is fifteen years old the youngest is just fourteen. This is not unusual, the daughter of a friend was a finalist a couple of years ago when she was just fourteen and by a matter of days wasn't the youngest in her final vote..
Does anybody else think this is just a bit too young?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Carnival queens

That is a bit too young.
But I guess things have changed quite a bit. As I remember them the queens had to be older as part of being the carnival queen was certain duties like opening events, new shops, etc. Maybe that no longer happens?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's all the fault of facebook
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9897117/Facebooks-killed-the-Carnival-Queen-damn-it.htm...
You see, sitting on a flat-bed truck in a bridesmaid’s dress is no longer how most exhibitionistic teenagers would choose to show off. Why parade yourself in a puffball frock to 300 politely clapping pensioners when you can whack a photo of yourself pouting in a bra to 1576 Facebook friends?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well the carnival queen winner has been announced, the young girl who won is 10 <no that's not a typo> ten years old!!  No doubt her mother is ecstatic, but doesn't this say more about the proclivities of the judging panel in the present child exploitation climate.
The publicity photo of the winner only needs her holding a magic wand with a star on the end of it to look as if she was going to a fancy-dress kids birthday party.
A very worrying trend in my opinion.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Petlew
Does anybody else think this is just a bit too young?

Yes I certainly do. As a society we've started to sexualise young girls very early over the last few years (well maybe not we but certainly the girls and mums all seem to be competing with each other). Whats worrying is that the women and girls see nothing wrong with encouraging males to look at them at such a young age because they're too busy lapping up the attention. There are too many sex crimes happening out there these days and yet these young girls are encouraged to try and be not only revealing but attractive and older looking too - this is dangerous.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Way too young.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation