Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Payments system DOWN !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Card Payments system DOWN !

Just logged in to my bank, and they show this message across the top of the account

There`s an issue causing some card payments to be declined online and in-store.

This is an industry-wide issue. 

You can still take out money from cash machines.

here is a news paper linky..

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/visa-card-payment-down-mastercard-not...

13 REPLIES 13
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Card Payments system DOWN !

This may not be at all related but I saw this on BBC News earlier:

Visa payment disruption hits Europe

shutter
Community Veteran

It is... related.... as reported in the Telegraph   ...  It seems that the whole system is down.

OK... it says you can still draw money out from machines...BUT>. if everyone starts to do that... there is only a fininte amount IN the machines, and they will all need to be replenished very soon .

Shep41
Pro
Fixes: 4

Boy did I feel a Pratt. Stood at the checkout in Tesco with £180 of shopping to be told card declined. Good job Tesco's have cash machines outside the store..cheers visa😡😡😡
AlaricAdair
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You're lucky you weren't wearing a flat cap in Tescos at the same time.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Used my pre-paid Cashplus Mastercard in Tesco earlier, one of the lackeys there said to use the PIN number with it rather than contactless, didn't know why, but did anyway, no problems with payment...

Oh well, yet another banking fluff up in a series of banking fluff ups, makes the Bank of Mattress seem all the more secure... Funny

shutter
Community Veteran

There is a Russian Spy Ship traversing the English Channel at the moment......... wonder if it had anything to do with it ... ? ? ?Undecided

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Definitely shutter Roll_eyes

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah I posted on another thread, it is on BBC News.

I went out with a friend of mine who works at a supermarket and he was telling me over a drink what a nightmare day he had at work.

You can imagine.

AlaricAdair
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's just Fate's way of reminding all those bankers and politicians who want to do away with cash. Electronic payments systems are generally, but not absolutely, reliable. Bank notes and coins do not need a network reboot.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'd wager that these days very few folk are aware of the definition of a cheque.

‘Cheque‘ is an instrument which contains an unconditional order, drawn on a banker, directing to pay a certain sum of money to the person whose name is specified in the instrument.

There's no mention of sort codes, account numbers or special paper, and indeed other media, like even a door, have been used. One customer I knew used one to pay the Revenue. It'd have been amusing too see some of the large supermarkets confronted by a customer, who offered to pay without the 'official' format, but one that is nonetheless legal, instead of having to return stock to the shelves, were that permitted.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Mav
Fixes: 431

Got caught up with this when I went to ALDI last night around 8:30pm. I went to the nearby Morrisons to withdraw some cash half expecting the machine to be empty. While there I found out that their systems had been up and running for some time. By the time I got back to ALDI theirs, too, was working.

What was odd is that my daughter had paid for goods by card in The Ranch (in the next town) around 40 minutes before we even got to ALDI.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran

On the subject of downtime.

When I was as uni Barclays had a massive system outage. This meant I couldn't withdraw cash from a Barclays machine or any other. Didn't try the debit card for buying anything but I assume that wouldn't go through.

My advice to everyone is to do what I do have a second current account just in case where you can access some money in case there is a system outage with your bank. If there is and you only have one account you're locked out of your money.

This Visa problem just shows that it can still happen.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That's pretty much why I set up my Cashplus account, Lloyds was being a PITA with their "daily fees" thing for those of us permanently trapped in overdrafts, so I opened my Cashplus account to make sure my bills were paid and I had money safely stored away from the nuisance of lloyds' new "feature"... Smiley