cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Declined

nadger
Rising Star

Card Declined

I've had an HSBC Gold Card for years but not used it for about 18 months as I got 15 months interest free with Tesco Bank Clubcard + extra points on fuel.
Got a letter from HSBC saying " use it or lose it" so decided to pay £29 bill in Morrisons with it yesterday.
Transaction was declined a couple of times before it finally worked - actually have the print-out declining transaction  Embarrassed
I had paid Amazon on Tuesday using card online, without a problem, so can only assume that there had been some build up of static over the 18 months it had been unused.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Card Declined

I reckon its a trick to scaremonger you into using it more frequently. They probably have their systems setup to reject it a couple of times before then approving the transaction.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not a trick..... actually, happened to me.... I used to have a Lloyds Toytown Savings Bank credit card..... never used it for a year, and they just did not renew it.... When I queried it, they said, as I hadn`t used it for a year, I did not really have a need to it...  Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

My HSBC card is still valid but, having complied with request to use it, I'll revert to using Tesco card.
Only use credit cards for convenience as only ever buy items that we can afford to buy for cash.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Not a trick..... actually, happened to me.... I used to have a Lloyds Toytown Savings Bank credit card..... never used it for a year, and they just did not renew it.... When I queried it, they said, as I hadn`t used it for a year, I did not really have a need to it...  Roll eyes

Slightly different scenario to the "use it or loose it" that I was referring to though. If they cancel the card fair enough its going to get rejected but those that are still valid but just not used I reckon are setup to decline a couple of times - just to scare the customer into using it more.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Credit Card companies get the hump when you haven't used a card for a while because (and I assume we're talking about ones with a zero balance here): (a) You're not paying any interest, and (b) They're not making any money on the merchant fees as you're not using it.
I had a Barclaycard nearly cancelled as I hadn't used it in two years, I didn't realise it had been that long. I also had a Barclaycard repeatedly declined once and had to ring them to find out why. I was told the 'block' on my card had been removed. When I asked why the block had been put on the card in the first place, I was (eventually) told it was when I moved. The address I had told them wasn't complete. Nice of them to write and tell me that rather than having the embarrassment of my card being declined in the first place.
Suffice to say, I can't recommend Barclaycard's CS Roll eyes
I've got a third Barclaycard which was an ex-Egg card, where I don't have to pay a monthly fee (as I had it before 2007) and pays 1% cashback per year, up to a cap of £200.
That is the one I use all the time Grin