cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car will not start.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Car will not start.

This is simply not my week, Thursday the car failed to start, engine turned over but would not fire up so phoned Britannia Rescue, I am a member and have cover for everything Except home start so asked how much they would charge to put my car on a trailer and taken to the local dealers, they quoted me £108  for a journey of approx 4 miles but gave me the number of the agents they use, the quote from them was £199 as their base was some distance away. Looked in Yellow pages and found a local recovery service which I think is a one man operation.............Cost.... £50 cash so it certainly pays to shop around.
But there is more, the local dealers fixed the car (for a reasonable price) but then gave me a written report on the car which said some modification had been made to the front lights that required attention but I told them I had never had anything done to the front headlights but on Saturday I suddenly remember that the car had been recalled for a safety modification to the front lights and this was done for free by them so I will be back to the dealers on Monday morning as they seem to be suggesting their work is not up to standard.
Will be interesting to hear what they have to say.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Car will not start.

So..... what caused the car to "not start" ? 
And do, please, let us know how the dealer wriggles out of his "sub standard" safety work !.  Cheesy
Community Veteran

For some reason the car was not accepting the 'code' in the key.
I Have a spare key, both original keys but the spare key would not work either, engine turns over, car locks and unlocks using the remote on the key.
Could be a coincidence but we had some workmen in the street the other day using walkie talkies, I have no idea if a signal from one of these could have caused it ?
The keys are kept in separate places so have not been near any magnetic sources, so anyone's guess.
In all fairness the bill was £65  plus of course a further £50 to get the car there.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

What car?  Did you look up the problem on the internet?
With all of the electronics on cars these days, there's a whole bunch of problems which can arise.  A few weeks ago I was on holiday in the depths of Cornwall when the whole of my dashboard stopped working - no speedo, rev counter, temp, tank gauge, warning lights other than one red light.  Looked it up and did some reading around - Vauxhall sites reported what the problem was and indicated a repair price of £300+.
A bit more reading and I found a clearer explanation of the problem and remedy - press and hold the odometer reset button and turn on the ignition.  Problem fixed for nowt!
I hope that it you go looking now, you don't find a similarly simple resolution?
Community Veteran

I wonder with some modern cars whether some problems get solved by disconnecting the battery for half an hour?
Car equivalent of turn it off turn it on again.
Fixes: 47

A few months ago my Focus decided to forget about the key code meaning it would not remote unlock and I was unable to start the car.
I disconnected the battery, went and had a cup of tea, reconnected the battery and everything has been fine since.
Saved myself a hefty bill at the dealers.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Ahh, reboot the system - cures a multitude of sins!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

How does that work on a SMART car... with no boot ?  Undecided
Community Veteran

Then it's the three fingered salute! Wink
Geoff,
York.
Devonian
Grafter

Merc Sprinters are plagued with electrical issues, the biggest being the 'key' not switching off the immobiliser.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

we had similar problems with a Renault bus some years back, the key fob had to be used in order to unlock the vehicle and disengage the immobiliser and not just using the key in the lock ....
once the IR port in the vehicle had been replaced it all started to work again (something had caused it to be damaged so it wasn't letting the keyfob signal through) turned out it was P.O.L. contamination of the plastic lens (but they come as a sealed receiver unit)
the Merc vans though we just used to pop the relay cover and reseat the relays for them to start the things were never a good enough fit that they stayed seated if you had a few rough bumps on the journey .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: Townman
What car?  Did you look up the problem on the internet?
With all of the electronics on cars these days, there's a whole bunch of problems which can arise.  A few weeks ago I was on holiday in the depths of Cornwall when the whole of my dashboard stopped working - no speedo, rev counter, temp, tank gauge, warning lights other than one red light.  Looked it up and did some reading around - Vauxhall sites reported what the problem was and indicated a repair price of £300+.
A bit more reading and I found a clearer explanation of the problem and remedy - press and hold the odometer reset button and turn on the ignition.  Problem fixed for nowt!
I hope that it you go looking now, you don't find a similarly simple resolution?
Intresting thought, now I have a bit of time I will look it up,, this happened on Thursday & I needed the car for weekend so my concern was that I could have ended up fiddling around with it  Friday morning and if I failed to fix it  then there was little chance of the dealers sorting it out before Saturday.
Oh for the days when a condenser and points cost a few pounds and you could sort the electrics in minutes with nothing more than a wire and small bulb.
Community Veteran

Called at the dealers this morning regarding their written report about a headlight modification thathadbeen done incorrectly,
Their response was that an error had been made in the report and should have read Head Unit  and not Headlight, seems the head unit is the mass of wires behind the dashboard and steering column and the error relates to a Car  radio I had fitted at Halfords over a year ago..
The Radio has always worked ok so it would be pointless going back to Halfords to complain about something that was incorrectly connected over a year ago.  The cost of fitting was £25 and normally it,s  something I would have fitted myself  but  this one was more trickier to do but on reflection it might have been better to have done the job myself.
Devonian
Grafter

Halfords......  Lips are sealed Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Devonian
Merc Sprinters are plagued with electrical issues....

Devonian I think you are too harsh on Mercs. They never go rwong.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.