cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car tyres

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Car tyres

I needed a new tyre, dropped into a nationwide chain near us *T* who promptly gave me a 10% card discount and a quote for £125.89 all in fitted. Seemed a bit high so I phoned a couple of other tyre suppliers in the area. Had the job done for £91.07 no 2% charge for credit card.

£24 difference seems a bit steep considering the "10% discount" had already been applied.

15 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Car tyres

I'll tell you one thing that's not two and call me bonkers if you like, but tyres do not last as last long as they used to. Ticked off

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
beeceegee
Rising Star

I always go online to for new tyre prices, usually checking KwikFit, eTyres and Blackcircles (the others are usually uncompetitive). Prices do vary wildly. Last time I was looking for 4 x Michelin CrossClimates. Blackcircles had them on offer at £91 a pop (plus triple Tesco points!), next best was well over £100 each

Community Veteran

I had a couple of Pirelli tyres for my Audi A6 from a local tyre supplier Quoted price per tyre £95. The final bill was £253 when fitted.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

beeceegee wrote:

I always go online to for new tyre prices, usually checking KwikFit, eTyres and Blackcircles (the others are usually uncompetitive). Prices do vary wildly. Last time I was looking for 4 x Michelin CrossClimates. Blackcircles had them on offer at £91 a pop (plus triple Tesco points!), next best was well over £100 each

Always go online as well, you simply choose what tyres you want and get them fitted at one of the major tyre centres, not sure how the system works, perhaps the tyre centre gets something for fitting the tyres or perhaps they own the website, not really important, getting tyres at a similar price you quote against paying £ 120 if you go there direct it's a no brainer.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

At my service garage 2x Firestones for my 53 reg Skoda Fabia cost me £54.98 inc VAT, with valve, balancing, and old tyre disposal. Maybe garages are becoming more competitive, but I do admit mine is a non-franchise local independent.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Luzern  where do you live?  that price you show, is pretty good... best price I managed, after phoning around about 8 local tyre dealers, ( no main franchises,... just the "little guys" ).... was £79 for two on the road...

salmo
Rising Star

Like beeceegee I always go online for tyre prices. Last time I used Blackcircles  with no problems and got cash back through TopCashback but didn't get Tesco points. I always check the tyre label ratings as I want a good performing tyre. It seems to be a trade off between grip and how long the tyre will last. I presume the better grip uses a softer compound (amongst other factors) and so wears quicker. despite being a tight old git I go for good grip first.

Minivanman
Hero

Same here @Luzern

My local ATS Euromaster fitted decent mid range tyres to my Fiesta for £50 each. As said earlier, tyres don't seem to last so long these days and I do not expect to get more that 20,000 miles out of them but there you go, the way of the world I guess.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

@beeceegee

"I always go online to for new tyre prices"

Never considered doing that although I guess 'postage' cost has to be taken into account, getting them inflated, balanced and of course fitted - so I guess not the solution for everybody, and certainly not an option for the old duffer!

beeceegee
Rising Star

Minivanman wrote:

... I guess 'postage' cost has to be taken into account, getting them inflated, balanced and of course fitted -

I do get "fully fitted" prices, not into buying the tyres then getting them fitted elsewhere. Usually after a quality tyre as I tend to drive fairly lively cars (currently a 1.8 Seat Leon FR ST, 180bhp)

As others have said tyres don't last as long these days. I changed all 4 recently at just over 20k - in olden days the rears would have been good for 40k, all to do with weight distribution i guess. OK the rears probably still had a few k left but I wanted to switch to an all season tyre. Just my luck that we then have one of the mildest winters I have known, so I never found out if they do their job on ice & snow. Very quiet tyres though.

salmo
Rising Star

@Minivanman

"I guess 'postage' cost has to be taken into account, getting them inflated, balanced and of course fitted"

I normally get a quote which includes fitting. You then choose a time and a garage near to you from a given list. The last time I used Blackcircles the price quoted included VAT, delivery of tyres, fitting, new valves, balancing and disposal of old tyres.

A bit ago when I used a well known chain for tyres their free safety check came up with a few things that needed attention. They were a bit put out when I told them that the car had had a service and MOT three days before (which was true). I asked them to put the defects in writing so I could go back to the main dealer who had carried out the work. They declined and said that the items were not urgent but may need attention later.

Luzern
Pro

shutter wrote:

@Luzern  where do you live?  that price you show, is pretty good... best price I managed, after phoning around about 8 local tyre dealers, ( no main franchises,... just the "little guys" ).... was £79 for two on the road...

A market town in S.W Hants between So'ton and Bo'mo

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro

Minivanman wrote:

Same here @Luzern

My local ATS Euromaster fitted decent mid range tyres to my Fiesta for £50 each. As said earlier, tyres don't seem to last so long these days and I do not expect to get more that 20,000 miles out of them but there you go, the way of the world I guess.

I suppose the hard driving that some use today could be a factor. I wonder too if comfort and other factors like road holding requirements have altered the material mix. Also, we seniors do not do high mileages, and tyres age just standing. 20000 miles could be a considerable time.

Minivanman
Hero

@Luzern

Fair point with regards to mileage, I just had in mind the average although as a senior I'm probably not far short of that even allowing for the occasional use of my bus pass. The Mrs uses the car as well so I suppose it all adds up.