cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car tyres

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Car tyres

Anyone on the forum with information about car tyres .
I phoned a well known company who advised me to order and pay on line.
I selected the correct size of tyres for my car and then selected a tyre from the range advertised.
Went to get them fitted the next day and was advised I had selected the wrong tyre, the size was correct but my curent tyres have a R rating and the one I ordered had a T rating.
Was advised the tyres would fit but were not suitable for my vehicle as the letter referred to the tyre wall which had no give in it compared to the R rated tyre.
Oddly enough the R rated tyre was made by the same company...Bridgestone...and was a lot cheaper so I ended up getting a refund having paid in advance.
Never come across this before and have bought a number of tyres for various vehicles over the years.
So, anyone have any thoughts about this or specific info .
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Car tyres

The letter is a speed rating , see here http://www.kwik-fit.com/writing-on-my-tyres.asp
Since a T is rated for higher speeds than an R , I would have thought it ok providing the load index is correct and both sides of the axle are replaced.
Then again, its always best to fit exactly what the manufacturers specified, saves any arguments with an insurance co in the event of an accident.
TORPC
Grafter

I am not too sure if this will help
[quote= http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35]L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M 81 mph 130 km/h Temporary Spare Tires
N 87 mph 140km/h
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the links, from what I can see here it's a total reverse of what he told me, the T rating would have been more appropriate than the R rarting
The only positive thing plus the cheaper price is what MisterW mentions in that the same rating of tyre has been fitted so there can be no insurance problems
Fixes: 47

Another interesting bit from the Kwik-Fit site http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-labelling.asp
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Manufacturers can sometimes fit strange spec tyres though.
A colleague of mine had a Vw Passat for a while, it was a standard car but for some reason it was fitted with 97W tyres whereas the typical similar car has 91W ones. We always suspected that Vw had an overstock of tyres destined for Sharans with the higher load rating. Since they were otherwise the same size they decided to fit them to a batch of Passats.
They were considerably more expensive to replace than the normal ones but we never dared to use anything but what it was originally delivered with.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles

the T rating would have been more appropriate than the R rarting

And where are you likely to be doing  speeds around 118mph? 
The R tyres may well have "stiffer" tyre walls, but that will only be a marginal difference, as a car can be used as a "light truck" ....and if you are "fully loaded", with 4 adults and some luggage, the R tyre at 70Mph would be quite suitable, ( in my opinion !. ) as the T rated tyre will be softer walled yet still carrying the same "load"... at 70 mph...
and the important thing on the Kwik Fit scale of speed/load rating is this bit...

The load index is a numerical code, which corresponds to the maximum load a tyre can carry at the speed indicated by its speed symbol,
under specific service conditions.

So, according to that, if you are carrying a "specific" load.....at 118mph.... then you need a T rated tyre on your car.... 
Like I just said.....
where are you likely to be doing  speeds around 118mph?    Roll eyes

And don't forget if you're driving alone and you stop to pick up 4 friends you must get a tyre pump out and increase the tyre pressures to compensate for the extra load.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
<snip>
And where are you likely to be doing  speeds around 118mph? 
<snip>
where are you likely to be doing  speeds around 118mph?    Roll eyes

Quite possibly the German Autobahns

There must be a horrendous number of accidents on a road with no speed limit Undecided
Devonian
Grafter

It all depends on the amount of use the vehicle gets, and the load it carries of course, but in my van I have found if I fit OEM spec tyres, the tread vanishes much quicker than paying extra for the next level up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

After reading this thread I worked out the cost per mile of tires (including fitting). It seems to come out at about 5p/mile on an Audi A6
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Is that because you are using american tires.....?  how do they compare to English TYRES  ? 
As the U.S. Gallon is smaller than the U.K. imperial gallon,.... do they have shorter miles?  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Nope because American tires last longer
I know that this used to be the case because a few years ago I asked the man in Sears how they could guarantee a 60.000 mile tire life when a UK tyre at that time only lasted about 30,000 miles
He explained that the American tire compound was much harder (more carbon included) but that meant poorer grip as I found out in the wet on a freeway exit where it rather slide a bit
Edit - sorry for giving a serious answer to a rhetorical question
Community Veteran

Fair comment, Jim..... didn`t know that  Smiley