cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car security

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Car security

With older cars one simple way of providing a modicum of security to prevent it being stolen was to remove the rotor arm from the distributor. Is there a modern equivalent for fuel injected engines?
I ask as at work the car parking has become an horrendous lottery, and some of us have been asked to move to a piece of waste ground (rented from a garden centre) most have refused on the grounds that it will take the local low-life a few hours to work out what is going on and that the cars are left on this unattended, isolated, unlit in winter area that is crossed by several footpaths with no fencing, so access is easy and doesn't need to be through the main gates of the garden centre. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Car security

Fit an immobiliser  or disconnect the battery, or fit a on/off isolation  switch  like those fitted to trucks, and hide it somewhere inside of outside the car  only probs unless wire it to a separate battery is no alarm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A high proportion of modern cars have immobilisers fitted by the manufacturer and can only be started with the correct key (the 'chunky' type keys usually have a transponder to work the immobiliser).  If not, identifying and removing a fuse for, say, the fuel pump should work OK.
Probably more important is to make certain that valuables are not left in the car (especially if visible from outside the car) - most local low-life will happily smash a window to grab something of value while they may not attempt to steal an immobilised vehicle, also make sure it's locked!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is there a way to cripple the car? Sure, pull a couple of fuses.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Fit a good car alarm.  Much better than removing fuses, disconnecting batteries etc.
Community Veteran

Appreciate that but, in this particular case the area is so isolated it would be unlikely anyone would hear it or know where its coming from if they did hear it. Do you know anyone who actually takes any notice of car alarms when they go off, apart from checking to see if its theirs then ignoring it if its not. The theory is it should defer a crook, don't think they do, they've usually long gone with your property before any action can be taken. Bit of a stable door I think.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

You may just hear this alarm going off Cool
Seriously, though, what about one of these?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Appreciate that but, in this particular case the area is so isolated it would be unlikely anyone would hear it or know where its coming from if they did hear it. Do you know anyone who actually takes any notice of car alarms when they go off, apart from checking to see if its theirs then ignoring it if its not. The theory is it should defer a crook, don't think they do, they've usually long gone with your property before any action can be taken. Bit of a stable door I think.

Indeed. I don't trust alarms to protect a car - so many people ignore them. They're only good for getting the attention of the net curtain twitchers IMO. I will say though that some people fit an alarm siren inside the car too - makes it impossible to stay in there with it. It's also a pain if the alarm malfunctions and you're stuck with it going off for some reason  Crazy
If you want the engine disabled, pulling fuses or having a hidden switch (even a remote control that activates a relay for the ignition circuit) is the way to go. While some upper market crooks will no doubt carry spare fuses and other bits of useful car pinching kit, I bet there are few of them that actually bother. You could also fit a cheap tracker to it that you can track via SMS.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@mav, uhmm!! had one of these many years ago (before air-bag were fitted in steering wheels to give you some idea of how long ago) worked very well. My older brother had one on his car that was broken into, the low-life seemingly out of frustration being unable to remove the lock, wrenched it hard and completely smashed the steering lock and ignition switch.
Think bruv didn't have it fitted correctly with the "arm" pointing in the wrong direction.
Yes, remember it was pretty good at its job, may well look into that again.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A year or so ago our local police were handing out car window stickers saying something like 'No valuables left in this vehicle', they reckoned it was pretty effective (as long as you made sure that no valuables were visibly left in the vehicle).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Take one of the wheels off....... and take that into work on a trolley...... Cheesy
Oh oh!.... not so good idea after all..... the low life will remove the rest......
Ah well.... at least you will still have the car ! ! !  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Put a couple of wheel clamps on it !
Your main problem might not be the theft of the vehicle but someone breaking in and stealing something such as the radio.
Perhaps a couple of dummy cameras  might just be enough to get the thieves to move on to another vehicle