cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car parts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Car parts

You own two cars, both the same make, model, engine etc. The only difference is that one is two years older than the other. This separation means that the younger car is a face-lift of the older car.

Outside hardly a single panel especially those plastic bumpers and trim infill’s, lights is exactly the same, in some cases you need to look very closely to see differences. But they are there. From a distance they look the same

Inside they are essentially identical except for an updating of the instrument layout and details. Under the bonnet not much changed.

The older car is to be scrapped for reasons that it has far too many fairly small but expensive faults to make it worthwhile keeping. It has though only just passed its MoT without comment. The engine management light is permanently on showing Cat sensor faults.

The later car is in excellent condition.

The plan is prior to scrapping some common parts will be removed from the older car as donor stock in case they are needed for the newer car in time.

My question is; which parts would you keep?

Some of the obvious choices would be:

Starter motor
Alternator
Exhaust CAT sensors (5 on each car)
Ignition coils
Iridium spark plugs (almost new)

Then I start to become at a loss what to choose next, any ideas?

There could be an almost infinite list, and then not have the part I need. There is no requirement to take the engine or gearbox out, nor drive line or suspension parts there is no room available for the storage of major components.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Car parts

I've done this to the extreme.. had 3 cars all the same make / model..

I literally stripped two to the bone and let the scrapman take the chassis. I literally kept doors, mirrors, seating, alloys, wiper motors, boot hatch, bonnet, subframes, shocks, aerials, front windscreen (had to buy cheesewire to cut it out), engine (from both - broke one up though as i needed the sump), sunroof, wiring looms..

I did keep too much though to be honest and when we moved it was a bit of a problem... i ended up getting the scrapman to lend me a skip and just filled it up for him. I do still have some bits but nothing like i did.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I can only assume you have some sort of mini aircraft hanger in which to store all these bit just in case you might need them! 

My last place had quite a good sized garage and quite literally, I must have had enough spare bits in there to build another car - and my current man cave is stuffed with stuff I will never ever use. I must be mad. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Keep the wheels, even if the tyres are shot, you can fit winters to them...

Community Veteran

I did explain that there is no accommodation for major components, and also that few of the panels and body mouldings would match anyway. So I was restricting myself to those "small" parts that are apt to fail without notice such as starter motor and alternator and parts of the ignition system. 

As far as the wheels are concerned, the alloys (they're the same on both cars) on the older car are going to be refurbished (properly and not just a quick skim and paint) and then fitted to the later car. Its unlikely I will be able to leave the scrap car without wheels at all, so the worst leftovers will be fitted to that. I have to admit though somehow keeping them and having winter tyres fitted is an attractive idea. It also happens the newer car was supplied with a "spacesaver" wheel, a proper full size spare was in the older car, this has already been changed over.

As an aside, both cars have private number plates. I'm debating whether to scrap the older car with the plate or opt to the DVLA to keep it and try to sell it privately. Or even keep it for future use.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Keep the plate. That said I'd it starts with three letters followed by four numbers its an Irish plate not personalised / custom.

If you want a list of the most basic parts to keep then:
Alternator
Plugs
Ht leads
Fuses
Light bulbs (lights if you can)
Wiper motors
Relays
Ignition coil(s)

From inside the cabin:
climate control panel if electronic
Indicator stalks
Steering wheel of the other one is tatty
Switches - windows sun roof etc can cost a fortune at a dealers
Dashboard light bulbs
Interior lights /bulbs
Boot carpet
Gear stick knob
Airbags - worth money 2nd hand but make sure the battery has been disconnected for a day before removing them AND that they are electronically triggered (wires) instead of impact triggered (typically front ones are electronic, side ones are impact) - this is at your own risk though as they are dangerous. I have got impact triggered bags in storage but the triggers are well protected and then stored in boxes with big warning signs. They do go with a hell of a bang too so if you do remove them plan it very carefully and keep trip hazards out of the way.

Window regulators /motors.
Door cards / handles are popular second hand too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Why would you want to keep any parts in this day and age when you can have most of what you’d need delivered next day! There are services online where you ask for the part you need and people contact you with prices etc. I can understand the obvious like bulbs, blades and fuses but is there really any need for the rest?

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would keep the bits that are likely to get damaged if you hit something or someone hits you.

Wing mirrors and light clusters (with the bulbs) would be high on my list, along with any external bits of clip on plastic that can fall (or be pulled) off.  

Community Veteran

The private plates are (both plates) my initials (I only have two) the year number, followed by my wife's initials (she has three). unusually she shares two of my initials so they come out something like (this is not it) AB66CAB (they don't actually form a word). So they are only going to appeal if at all to a fairly limited number of people. But I've been searching around some plate dealers for possible prices. But I suspect it will not end up being worth the hassle.

Community Veteran

@Mook they are Japanese cars, even simple parts can be hideously expensive.Example: the auto wiper windscreen sensor from Toyota £235. From a quality recycler for the same car £12.

I have been using a well known recycler in the Thame Buckingham area for some years now, and go there for any part before the main dealer, parts have a six month warranty. My local independent garage is quite happy to fit them.

Of course, parts are not always available from a recycler, but they will make incredible efforts to find them if they can.

@wisty It sounds attractive, but not a single outside part you mentioned is common to both cars. Inside its a very different story and the entire interior could be transferred from the old car to the newer one.

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

Why would you want to keep any parts in this day and age when you can have most of what you’d need delivered next day! There are services online where you ask for the part you need and people contact you with prices etc. I can understand the obvious like bulbs, blades and fuses but is there really any need for the rest?

Why would you want to throw away parts that you have only to have to buy them again in the future?

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

I can only assume you have some sort of mini aircraft hanger in which to store all these bit just in case you might need them! 

My last place had quite a good sized garage and quite literally, I must have had enough spare bits in there to build another car - and my current man cave is stuffed with stuff I will never ever use. I must be mad. Smiley

No not really, I had two 6x4 sheds plus another old 8x6 shed that the owner was allowing to crumble into the ground - it had a roof and three walls though so did the job! The trouble was that getting to bits at the back of the shed was a serious pain.

When we moved there was too much to take with me so i had to get rid of loads of stuff. It's now condensed into a "new build" tiny garage along with my tools etc. I had to throw away a lot of good stuff and ended up buying back one part from the scrap man.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That's a fair point @7up in the context of the OP, having said that if I needed to have two cars of the same make and model just to keep one of them on the road I for one would be looking at a different marque the next time I was buying a car.

Community Veteran

The op didn't state the reason for having two cars, merely that they had two cars.

In fact the op didn't actually state they had two cars... it started "You have two cars..." so I kinda took it as a hypothetical situation initially.

Community Veteran

Don't forget that electronic parts may be "keyed" to the car. For example with the later Saabs you couldn't even move the radio or CD changer between vehicles unless they were "divorced" from the donor car first. My Volvo S60 has a known problem with the dash module and they're keyed to the car so have to be programmed to it if you need to replace it.